General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nao 尚

Technically, yes. It's even easy to do because both IDs in the embed code are already there, unencoded, in the URL, so no lookup is required at all.

Now, if you were wondering whether I would do it, I'm afraid no. Mainly because I already said I wouldn't add any sites that aren't super-popular. And Hatena is not a popular video site. It's more of a blog site. I actually use a RSS feed for the "Shigeyasu Yamauchi" tag, which redirects me to any new post in Hatena that refers to (my favorite director). Videos? First time I see one on Hatena actually...
That, and the fact that 200 sites is already quite enough. Actually, just 20 sites would be enough really. The "popular" list in the Aeva site list.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Nao 尚

Does this topic require my attention? (Long posts... Not enough time...)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Akyhne

I'm not sure why people can create new topics, but you could enable notifications on the board http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=191.0.
That's one solution. Another could be that the board was locked for new topics to be created.

If you want to edit the FAQ yourself, let me know.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I seriously think the ability to create new topics on this board is by mistake.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Nao 尚

Quote from: Akyhne on September 28, 2009, 08:43:05 AM
I'm not sure why people can create new topics, but you could enable notifications on the board http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=191.0
Didn't think about that one... Never used that feature before, actually.
Hopefully it'll only e-mail me the NEW topics, rather than new posts... Otherwise I'll often get e-mails for this very topic ;)

QuoteIf you want to edit the FAQ yourself, let me know.
Not a problem for now.

Akyhne

Just enable emails for the first unread reply only in your profile ;)

jmil

OMG - Am I that far behind?? I am using Version 3.0 LOL  :-X

So Since I am sooooo far behind - I need to simply uninstall and reinstall the new one?

I do have a custom theme so I will also need to parse the edits too.

Looking forward to your answer!

Nao 尚

Well I'll see... I didn't receive an e-mail for your post so I guess it may work as I wish it does.

Akyhne

As far as I know, Aeva will work with any theme. No files in the templates are edited. Uninstall the old version, and install the new one.

NecatPace

i have the same problem, i install, but don't work, i put the url of youtube and nothing :(

Max C.A. Souffriau Ll.
Presidente
EcuaTuning.COM

Telf. (593) 4 228-1979
Cell:  09-961-9706 Porta

[email protected]
http://EcuaTuning.COM

Akyhne

Quote from: NecatPace on September 28, 2009, 08:22:26 PM
i have the same problem, i install, but don't work, i put the url of youtube and nothing :(
Same problem? White page? Or did you forget to enable the Aeva mod in the admin center?

Nao 尚

neilbombd

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on September 25, 2009, 08:23:17 AM
neil> Eh?

Currently, AEVA will only embed "local" mp3 files.  I wish it to provide a streaming option for ALL mp3 files.

Nao 尚

Nao 尚

Okay guys... I need your opinion!

As you all probably know, I was very proud of Aeva v6 because it did something that no other software (even outside SMF) ever did: it gathered a complete list of available formats for YouTube videos and allowed users to choose their favorite.
And as you all probably know as well, back in June, YouTube slapped me on the cheek by removing support for setting a format within the embed URL. As such, the only options that became available were "HD" or "This quality sucks". Hardly anything to brag about.

So, I released a new version of Aeva that removed the retrieving of video quality, since it could no longer be applied -- might as well get rid of it. Today I discovered that I had left some related code in Aeva and it'll be removed in the next version (it does two lookups on YT pages that are no longer needed). I figured I might as well make some more changes and rebrand it as Aeva 7.

Here's the thing. I'm looking into adding a variable in the Aeva admin area, that will allow you to set a maximum width for your videos. For any site. That is, people will get a button below all videos, that will allow them to extend the embed size to whatever you specified. Also, if the default width for any video site is higher than your max width, it will be taken into account, and the video will be downsized, whether in normal or max width mode.

So, that's a cool feature... And it will replace the very weak change I made for YouTube (LQ/HQ/HD) by allowing you to extend the video size only if you want to. (Of course, your favorite width will be recorded in a cookie, as it currently is.)

Now what I'm left with is, the YouTube case.
In the latest version, I implemented a button that allowed you to switch the video to HD at the same time as it is resized on your screen. It was barely an afterthought compared to the complex code I'd written earlier. The main points were:
1- The video was reset to the beginning when clicking on the button, a feature which the YouTube embed interface still doesn't offer,
2- Aeva remembers whether you prefer the HD or LQ format.

Now, I have a feeling that YouTube tends to remember my latest choice as well. That is, even if the hd variable is not set, it will still send me a video in HD when available, just because that was the last format I viewed a YT video in (and vice versa).
The problem is, I have an account over at YT and maybe it's simply remembering my settings that way.

What I need from you is some feedback on this. Do you this Aeva's HD link below YouTube videos is still useful? Do you use it at all? Would you rather just use the HD button on YT vids themselves? Do you think a video not encoded in HD, will be rendered in a higher resolution if using Aeva's HD link, or is it just the same?

Thanks for your help on this. My current state of mind is to remove anything related to HD and let YouTube offer the button by themselves.

Soms

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on September 29, 2009, 11:12:12 AM
My current state of mind is to remove anything related to HD and let YouTube offer the button by themselves.

I like your current state of mind.  ;D

LHW

No one at on my board's even mentioned it, let alone used it, I think.  We simply post the YT link and let Aeva display the video.

I like the idea of setting a maximum width, though.  That'd be a nice feature.  Keep up the good work, Nao!  ;D

swtdivalove

Quote from: swtdivalove on September 25, 2009, 09:54:39 PM
I'm getting this error when I try to watch a YouTube.com video:

Embedding disabled by request.  Please watch the video on YouTube.

I do not get this on all videos that are posted, but do get them on some.

I'm still needing an answer to this.

plusev

Quote from: swtdivalove on September 29, 2009, 03:19:34 PM
Quote from: swtdivalove on September 25, 2009, 09:54:39 PM
I'm getting this error when I try to watch a YouTube.com video:

Embedding disabled by request.  Please watch the video on YouTube.

I do not get this on all videos that are posted, but do get them on some.

I'm still needing an answer to this.
Thats easy and self explanatory - Youtube is telling you that embedding was disabled on that specific video by request (of them or the onwer) and you need to visit the site to view it. It's a youtube message and has nothing to do with Aeva.

poolhall

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on September 29, 2009, 11:12:12 AM
My current state of mind is to remove anything related to HD and let YouTube offer the button by themselves.

I'd go with this. Thanks.

Advertisement: