Auto Merge Double Post

Started by M-DVD, December 03, 2008, 10:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-DVD

Quote from: narcolog on February 22, 2009, 02:51:29 AM
This mod doesn't work correctly with "AJAX Instant Quick Reply". After poster sends double message, it shows 2 messages: first without merge and second with 2 merged messages. But after refresh everything shows OK.

Yes, this is because the MOD AIQR believe that has published a new reply and shows a new reply, ie, not expected to have a merge.

Should change the MOD AIQR, but I don't know the code of this mod, and besides, I don't think is serious.

Quote from: LOVELORD on February 26, 2009, 01:35:42 PM
How to allow Allow auto merge in some forums, but in others to disable???  ::)

Currently don't work in this way. The MOD  work it throughout the forum.

And don't know if many people are interested in this feature.

narcolog

Quote from: M-DVD on February 28, 2009, 12:23:46 AM

I'm very interested in this feature. We have a city forum on wich some boards have buy/sell themes, but others are cultural, historical. I want to prevent from bumping only on buy/sell boards, but stay other boards. Maybe it will be additional text field in admin panel, where administrator will fill comma delimited  ids of boards which will allow merging of double posts? Or disallow, never mind...
It's very useful feature for me.

M-DVD

Quote from: narcolog on March 10, 2009, 04:40:41 AM
Quote from: M-DVD on February 28, 2009, 12:23:46 AM

I'm very interested in this feature. We have a city forum on wich some boards have buy/sell themes, but others are cultural, historical. I want to prevent from bumping only on buy/sell boards, but stay other boards. Maybe it will be additional text field in admin panel, where administrator will fill comma delimited  ids of boards which will allow merging of double posts? Or disallow, never mind...
It's very useful feature for me.

Ok. It is possible that in the next update I release two versions (with and without this feature), because "possibly" this feature was "bother" for the rest the people. Depend on the tests. :)

narcolog

Hooray!!!
Waiting for "with" version  ;)

Eclipse16V

Hi,

great mod.

I have a problem.
When a user write a post, it is ok.
When hi write a next post, it is ok.
When hi write a next post, hi becomes a error and the post doesn´t save.
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

M-DVD

Quote from: Eclipse16V on March 28, 2009, 02:41:22 PM
Hi,

great mod.

I have a problem.
When a user write a post, it is ok.
When hi write a next post, it is ok.
When hi write a next post, hi becomes a error and the post doesn´t save.

This isn't normal.  ::)

Ok
What version SMF's are you using? What version MOD's are you using? What error? A link to see the problem?

Eclipse16V

Hi,

- SMF 2.0RC1
- Auto Merge Double Post v1.2

Error:
Doesn´t post the message.
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

M-DVD

Sorry, I cannot reproduce this error.

Could you give me more details?
Have you installed manually?
Could you give me an URL, user and pass, for test the error?

Eclipse16V

I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

Eclipse16V

I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

erdem86

Hi,

Thanks for this nice mod. Is there any way to set topics to be bumped while messages are merged?

I mean;

A person will open a thread at 10:00AM

He will come back at 18:00PM when his thread is at the fifth place. He will reply and messages will be merged but his topic will bump, go to the first line. Leting us to know that there is a new reply even if it is merged.

M-DVD

Quote from: Eclipse16V on March 31, 2009, 07:39:09 AM
Here the Files:

Ok, i will check. More later or tomorrow i tell you.

Quote from: erdem86 on March 31, 2009, 10:50:24 AM
Hi,

Thanks for this nice mod. Is there any way to set topics to be bumped while messages are merged?

I mean;

He will come back at 18:00PM when his thread is at the fifth place. He will reply and messages will be merged but his topic will bump, go to the first line. Leting us to know that there is a new reply even if it is merged.

Thanks
Yes, you can use this MOD
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1557

Eclipse16V

I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

erdem86

Quote from: M-DVD on March 31, 2009, 08:32:27 PM
Quote from: Eclipse16V on March 31, 2009, 07:39:09 AM
Here the Files:

Ok, i will check. More later or tomorrow i tell you.

Quote from: erdem86 on March 31, 2009, 10:50:24 AM
Hi,

I mean;

Thanks
Yes, you can use this MOD
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1557

TetsuoS

Hey

I have some remarks/questions/possible feature requests:

I've been using a merge double post mod on my forum for several years. A few days ago we decided to get rid of tons of bloat and do a complete re-install. Upon searching for this mod I found it was no longer listed, but I did come up with your mod. I've looked over the code of your mod and it's quite elegant. The other mod merged the posts in the 'new' post, while this one seems to merge them in the 'old already present' post. Both ways of doing things have their ups and downs I suppose. Anyway...

How does your mod react to a double post merge that exceeds the maximum number of chars in a single post, the other mod had a setting that would temporarily disable such limitations? This is mostly a theoretical question for me, since in most instances, the double posts we encounter on our board are not that long, but I can imagine it might matter for other boards, especially, since your default minimum time interval is a whole day.

Would it be possible for you to add a 'merge double post' button on a post that is detected to be a double post with a permission so that mods can merge  double posts even if those posts were made after the automatic double post merging time had passed?

I normally used to use the automatic merge double post feature of the other mod to merge posts that were made in close succession simply because the member was too lazy to use the edit button of his other post and thus set it to a relatively short interval time (I can manually edit the days into seconds, minutes or hours in your mod by changing the 86400 literal to something smaller, like 60 or 3600 or so, that's not a problem, though you might think about making this a configurable variable for those that are not confident with manually editing code, maybe even via an elegant drop down box or so where admins can select the multiplier from a set list), however, every now and then somebody posts what I'd call a 'real' double post after the set time had passed, a bump or whatever. Moderators would then merge that bump into the previous post if they deemed it to be useless (simple deletion of posts is not an option, members generally truely dislike it if you start deleting their posts, even if they are worthless posts, merging seems to be a good compromise for both parties involved (moderators/members). Another alternative is that after the short interval time had passed the double poster would do his thing again, but this time, he'd provide a valuable new post that's worthy of standing on its own, in this case, the mods could decide not to merge. Increasing the auto double post interval would automatically merge those posts, and that we'd rather not have happen.

So I'm faced with a dilemma, either install the old mod, which seems to do double post merging a bit less efficient, but does have the ability to manually merge a double post, or use your new mod which lacks this feature, but speeds up the merging.

I realise that we're using the mod not entirely for it's prime intended purpose (the control of thread bumps), but it's a small step from one use to the other.

Thanks for looking into my questions. :)

Nao 尚

> but speeds up the merging.

In what way?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

TetsuoS

Well, I only glanced at it, but it seemed to me as if this merge mod never actually posts the new message if it detects it's going to be a double post, but just edits the original post. While the other merge mod does post the new message and then takes the old message and merges that into the new message and then deletes the original message. Not? If that's right, it should be clear that this newer merge mod is faster, simply because it has less overhead to deal with. Not that it would make a great difference in overall server performance, unless double posting has become a way of life for the members. :)

I've used the old mod for over 2 years and have been very pleased with its performance. I had a few minor issues with it, but nothing that would have made me switch if it were still available and maintained. I think one minor issue I had with it, was with insufficient permission settings, where I couldn't assign double post permissions/usergroup?

With this new mod, the issue would be, no merge possibilities after the merge time has been exceeded. To me that's a rather major issue, unfortunately, so I'm hoping the author will be willing to implement such a system, though it's clear that the merging principle used for the automatic system will have to be altered for manual merging, since the post obviously already exists in case of merging after the fact.

M-DVD

Quote from: TetsuoS on April 18, 2009, 04:35:53 AM
Hey

I have some remarks/questions/possible feature requests:

I've been using a merge double post mod on my forum for several years. A few days ago we decided to get rid of tons of bloat and do a complete re-install. Upon searching for this mod I found it was no longer listed, but I did come up with your mod. I've looked over the code of your mod and it's quite elegant. The other mod merged the posts in the 'new' post, while this one seems to merge them in the 'old already present' post. Both ways of doing things have their ups and downs I suppose. Anyway...

Hi. Thanks

And yes, is truth :)

--

About the Maximun number chars:

Currently, if exceeded, is displayed the error message "post very large".

For the new version I was planned include the option to choose if you want to ignore this.

The solution is very simple and elegant, it is enough assign a value to a variable and the forum does the rest. ;)

About the Escale Time:

Ok. Currently seems to me that isn't required manual editing of MOD. I think you can try input, for example: 0.5 (days) ≡ 12 (hours)

I remember that this works (in my test).

About the Manual Merge:

Yes, I thought make a classic version that only focuses on the automatic merging; and an extended version that also has option of manual merging, with their own permissions for users and moderators permissions.

Then each person chooses the version needed for his forum.

--

I think I have answered all your questions, if I have forgotten some, let me know. :)

TetsuoS

Nope, thank you very much for replying so promptly.

Any idea on a loosely defined timescale for the extended version? Finished in a few months, a year, etc? I don't want to seem pushy or anything, I'm just curious. :)

Advertisement: