News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

RSS Feeder

Started by SlammedDime, January 11, 2009, 06:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlammedDime

If they become disabled when the task runs, it's because your host may have fsockopen disabled... something to look into.  The only reason it would become disabled is if the feeder is unable to connect to the feed.  (you can check your error log on this too, I believe MagPie throws up a User created PHP error if it can't connect to the feed and SMF will log it)

As far as the mark as read problem on your test site, I'll investigate this on my Beta 4 and Rc1 installs, but I never ran into this issue.

Edit: I just tested the Mark As Read option and it worked just as it should on both of my test installs.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

shanksta13

Interestingly enough, it only does this for certain feeds...

How can I check to see if my host has fsockopen disabled or not?

SlammedDime

The easiest way to know is to visit your SMF Admin main page.  If the SMF Latest News box updates, then you do have it enabled, as SMF uses the same function to retrieve the latest news from our servers.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

shanksta13

Okay, I figured out why the feed wasn't working.  For whatever reason I had the URL wrong, stupid me.

Anyway, it works great on my admin account now.  It just updated the feeds and they showed up as unread on my account.  However, when I logged onto another account (my boardtester account), all of the posts were unread.

Has anyone else tried this mod from an account other than the admin account?  If so, does it do the same for you or is it just on my site that this is happening?

shanksta13

Or maybe it's just a first time thing?  Will they display as unread when it pulls the next new article?

shanksta13

Oh, another awesome feature request that probably wouldn't be too hard:

The option to specify a particular message icon for each individual feed.  For instance, my board has message icons for ESPN, CBSSports, etc.  Now that I have the RSS Feeder to automatically pull the articles, it would be awesome if I could automatically assign them the message icons, rather than having to manually do it.

SlammedDime

Quote from: Yağız on January 11, 2009, 01:58:58 PM
There is an error with Turkish characters. It shows '?' instead of 'ı', 'İ', 'ğ', 'ş', 'Ş'.
I've fixed this bug... I didn't realize how powerful Magpie is in parsing RSS and returning results.  I added a line that sets the output character set of Magpie to be whatever the forum is, so it now parses your feed properly that you gave as an example...
Quote from: Lamarck on January 12, 2009, 09:50:50 AM
Yes,of course...here is a link:

http://www.20minutos.es/rss

Ah,the problem is not only with "´",the same thing happen with "ñ".

Thanks!.
The above fixed your problem as well.

shanksta13 - message icon selection it is.... :)

Thanks everyone so far for testing and bug reporting and providing ideas for new features.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Miles Marshall

Wonderful mod I must say, Is there anyway to limit the number of articles?, Or parse some aritcles like specfic topics
Need Computer Help? Just want to chat? Come on over! http://www.geekinc.org
"I tried to fix the world but they wouldn't give me the source code"

-Miles

SlammedDime

The limit is what your board can hold... If you want only certain articles based on keywords, specify those keywords for that feed.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

KahneFan

SD, could there be anyway of allowing those with AEVA to embed videos into the posts? As well as images? I have many members who like to post images (screenshots of graphs) in their blog. I also have members who use YouTube and other players to post videos. For the videos, I would think that anyone with AEVE would just need to allow a link to the vid.

Here's a sample with a graph and a player.
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

SlammedDime

The mod is made to strip all html from feeds, not only for security, but also because it isn't needed in the posts.

As for allowing AEVA - I don't know how items are included in posts, but if it is through the use of BBcode, then if the blog utilized bbcode in the description tag, then that would be passed to the feeder and the bbcode would be parsed in the post.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

shanksta13

Okay, I've got the feed behaving mostly properly now, however the Mark as Read option still isn't working.  The feed articles are being pulled up properly, but they're showing up as unread.  Any ideas?

digger

Another suggestion.
Can you make an option to post feed as posts in one topic, instead of many topics for one feed.
It's not hard to implement, but more suitable than a tons of topics.

SlammedDime

shanksta - All I can think of is a mod is interfering with it.  I have no problems with it on stock installs of Beta4 or RC1.  Can you list the mods you have installed?

digger - I'll entertain that thought... however answer me these questions:
Should the title of the topic be the title of the feed, or that of the first item pulled from the feed
I assume you mean each feed would have it's own topic?  Not all feeds posting to one topic?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

shanksta13

Quote from: SlammedDime on January 13, 2009, 08:00:11 PM
shanksta - All I can think of is a mod is interfering with it.  I have no problems with it on stock installs of Beta4 or RC1.  Can you list the mods you have installed?

Should the title of the topic be the title of the feed, or that of the first item pulled from the feed
I assume you mean each feed would have it's own topic?  Not all feeds posting to one topic?

Haha, probably won't help much, I have a pretty modded up forum.  :D

Mod Name     Version     
1.    RSS Feeder    1.0.0    [ Uninstall ]
2.    Profile Visitors    4.1    [ Uninstall ]
3.    Prettier_Quotes    1.12    [ Uninstall ]
4.    Member Color Link    3.0.5    [ Uninstall ]
5.    Time Logged-In    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
6.    Excellent Smileys    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
7.    vBulletin Style Meta Tags    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
8.    Custom Copyright    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
9.    Users Online Today    1.5.4    [ Uninstall ]
10.    SMF Arcade    2.5 Beta 2.2 Public    [ Uninstall ]
11.    User Control Panel By Alan S    3.0    [ Uninstall ]
12.    Simple Award System    2.0.0.4b    [ Uninstall ]
13.    Show Joined, Location, Username In Topic View    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
14.    SMF Chat - by Joseph Szenasi    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
15.    Advanced Reputation System    1.5.2    [ Uninstall ]
16.    Referrals Mod    2.1.1    [ Uninstall ]
17.    Recent posts user preference    3.04    [ Uninstall ]
18.    Auto Embed Video/Audio Clips    4.0.2    [ Uninstall ]
19.    Ellow green smiley set    1.1.0.1    [ Uninstall ]
20.    Tagging System    2.1    [ Uninstall ]
21.    Pm_Informer    2.0    [ Uninstall ]
22.    Show Local Url Titles    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
23.    Internal_Links_Use_Same_Window    1.2    [ Uninstall ]
24.    YouTube BBCode    2.3    [ Uninstall ]
25.    New In Topic View    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
26.    Last Post On MemberList    1    [ Uninstall ]
27.    Previous and Next Links for Page Index    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
28.    Top 10 Posters Today And This Week Stats    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
29.    New Style Message Icon    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
30.    MessagePreviewOnHover    1.7    [ Uninstall ]
31.    Irritate lurkers with 0 posts    0.1    [ Uninstall ]
32.    Images On Board    1.1    [ Uninstall ]
33.    Colorize Boards    3.0    [ Uninstall ]
34.    Bookmarks    2.2.1    [ Uninstall ]
35.    Birthday on Profile Summary    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
36.    Ad Managment    2.3.4    [ Uninstall ]

Not to mention I'm using an SMF-Joomla Bridge.  Don't worry, I'll try to figure it out on my own, just have to do a little more research on how to make a thread appear "read".

digger

Quote from: SlammedDime on January 13, 2009, 08:00:11 PM
Each feed would have it's own topic.
Title of the topic would be the title of the feed and titles of the posts might be a titles of the rss items.

KahneFan

SD, thank you for your quick responses to us all it very refreshing!

As for AEVA, all you have to do is allow the link to the video to pass through and AEVA automatically turns it into a video. The video I have posted HERE was embeded by me simply posting a link to the video and AEVA did the rest.

Also, if you could allow image URL's through: 1) people could click to see the image, 2) Someone might be able to make a mod which would allow images inline in posts.

Come to think of it, just allowing all URL's through would probably be a good thing. I've seen mention to security, but if the admin is (currently) the one allowing feeds, then they should be selective of their feeds.

SlammedDime

Right, but how do I know what is a valid video link??  AEVA does it because of the hundreds of regular expressions that it uses to parse the videos... not sure I'd want to add all of that.

Although, I should ask for clarification... how do you mean, post a link to the video?  is it as simple as typing:

http://www.youtube.com/myvideolinkhere

And AEVA parses it and displays the video?

As for images - I can probably make a regular expression to pull out images and convert them to bbcode.  Shouldn't be hard.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

KahneFan

Quote from: SlammedDime on January 13, 2009, 09:11:12 PM
is it as simple as typing:

http://www.youtube.com/myvideolinkhere

And AEVA parses it and displays the video?

Exactly that. If someone post a YouTube URL on a site with AEVA it will automatically become an embeded video. So you would just need to allow the URL through and AEVA will do the rest. This would also allow people to use your mod with any of the (currently) 185 sites that AEVA works with.

BTW: AEVA Mod Link if it helps.

SlammedDime

ah, no problem then... this doesn't strip any urls... only <a>... </a> tags or any other HTML tags.  If it's just a pure link, it will still be allowed because it's considered plain text as far as this mod is concerned, so no modifications are needed on my part, it should work as it stands now.

As for the images, I can add a regular expression to the part that actually strips out HTML to keep the images... easy fix.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: