News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[Preview] sidebyside Theme

Started by KahneFan, January 26, 2009, 02:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KahneFan

This theme has a static left menu bar which allow for easy navigation no matter where you are on the site. Also, the size of the boards on the index page allows for the ability to see many boards at once, which makes for less scrolling that is needed to navigate the front page.

To see this theme in action:
Preview Theme

This user is set up to view the sidebyside theme, so it will display when you log in, which will also allow you to see on/off indicators.

Someone mentioned else where that they did not like the static menu. If you prefer a menu that moves with the page you can change...

./Themes/sidebyside/css/index.css

/* The left info bar */
#left_info
{
position: fixed;

replace with:
./Themes/sidebyside/css/index.css

/* The left info bar */
#left_info
{
position: absolute;
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

gamerxgirl

This is just my personal opinion, but I think the color scheme doesn't go well at all :(
Xenaverse.net Xena: Warrior Princess Forums | Gallery | Reviews | Fan Fiction

KahneFan

I changed it up a bit since that screen shot. Also keep in mind, there a BUNCH of colors lit up since I have a lot of unread boards, just to show the various icons. If it's a normal visit, you would probably see very few colors lit up, and not usually lit up together. When logged in with no new messages, it's all pretty much blue/gray. The red is just an eye catcher when there's a new message.

Below is a screen shot with no new posts.

Deaks

im curious if its XHTML valid or not?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

KahneFan

Quote from: Markup Validation Service
This document was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!

Deaks

now do you check that via:

http://validator.w3.org/check/referer

As that only validates as a guest and not a user.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

KahneFan

I just changed my test board to use this theme and tried it again  :-[

Still validates  :D

gamerxgirl

Quote from: KahneFan on January 26, 2009, 02:37:22 PM
I changed it up a bit since that screen shot. Also keep in mind, there a BUNCH of colors lit up since I have a lot of unread boards, just to show the various icons. If it's a normal visit, you would probably see very few colors lit up, and not usually lit up together. When logged in with no new messages, it's all pretty much blue/gray. The red is just an eye catcher when there's a new message.

Below is a screen shot with no new posts.

That's much better imho. I think all the different colors were clashing a bit.
Xenaverse.net Xena: Warrior Princess Forums | Gallery | Reviews | Fan Fiction

KahneFan

Singularly, do you feel they would still be clashing, or do you feel they would clash on their own still?

KahneFan

Quote from: DirtRider on January 28, 2009, 08:38:17 AM
... I however feel that on larger forums this layout would not be very practical

Please explain. I was thinking this would work better for sites with more boards so you could see more while scrolling less.

KahneFan

Educate me on what more I have loading than a normal forum? I used all the standard code (if not removing some).

KahneFan

Quote from: DirtRider on January 29, 2009, 08:45:39 AM
Ag Kahne you asked for some feedback on your theme and I gave my honest opinion about it. If you feel it is not valid then just leave it. As I said I love the idea for a small forum and would use it because it looks so fresh and new but I would not use it on one of my bigger forums

I'm unsure why you're upset. I DID ask for feedback and I DO appreciate it. I (honestly) asked for you to help me understand what would take so long to load. If I typed something that sounded offensive I do apologize.

KahneFan

DirtRider, I really would like to know if you would expand on what you feel would make the load times long on this theme.

Everyone else: Feedback is still very appreciated.

DirtRider

:D I deleted my post in this thread as I just relized it was your other theme I was talking about and not this one. I am not sure how I posted this here and not in the other thread. No wonder you were confused at my comments  :D

Great theme and very nice work well done
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

bloc

I like the the compact boardindex a lot. It looks easier to scan/read..although since the headers are much closer now, a bit too busy with the lines perhaps? Might be better with less visible lines, a lighter bordercolor there.

Advertisement: