News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

sidebyside

Started by KahneFan, February 04, 2009, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KahneFan

Link to the theme

Preview Here

CSS NOTE: PLEASE READ
The menu on the left side is currently "fixed", but it can be made to move with the page by changing a line in ./sidebyside/css/index.css, look for:

/* The left info bar */
#left_info
{
position: fixed;
top: 0%;
left: 0%;
width: 10%;
text-align: center;
font-size: 0.8em;
font-family: tahoma, sans-serif;
text-transform: uppercase;
}

You will want to change "fixed" to "absolute"

This theme has a static left menu bar which allow for easy navigation no matter where you are on the site. Also, the size of the boards on the index page allows for the ability to see many boards at once, which makes for less scrolling that is needed to navigate the front page.
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

Antechinus

Cool idea. I had a thought but I have no idea how to code it. It may be possible to make the side menu float beside the forum, so that wherever you were on the page the menu was right beside you. If that could be done for a later version it would really complement this layout.

KahneFan

That's how this version is. The left menu is static with the page (it doesn't move while you scroll).

Antechinus

Yeah I know. I just looked at it and started wondering if the other was possible. It would be an interesting exercise if you feel like tackling it.

KahneFan

The other version being? A mobile menu that scrolls with the screen? I may be missing what you're looking for really.

Antechinus

Yup. I was thinking that a mobile menu would be perfect for this layout if it could be done. It was just a thought that occurred to me when I was looking at the theme.

KahneFan

So a menu that the member could place where they like on the screen? The only problem then would be making sure you're not blocking content. Technically I could make a version of this theme where the menu is on top/right/bottom and in cooperation with this theme user's could choose where they want their menu without blocking content.

Antechinus

What I was thinking was that since you have the menu in a left panel (in effect) it would be cool if that panel stayed fixed when the rest of the forum scrolled. That way it is always accessible no matter where you are in the forum. Make sense?

It'd also mean you could use any leftover space beneath the menu for other items. As it is a substantial portion of screen width is largely wasted space. If it could be fully utilised this would rock.

KahneFan

Quote from: Antechinus on February 04, 2009, 07:33:09 PM
What I was thinking was that since you have the menu in a left panel (in effect) it would be cool if that panel stayed fixed when the rest of the forum scrolled. That way it is always accessible no matter where you are in the forum. Make sense?

That's how this theme is now. The menu and the left panel stay fixed while the forum scrolls.

Quote from: Antechinus on February 04, 2009, 07:33:09 PM
If it could be fully utilised this would rock.

If you know how to code, you can put whatever you would like in that left panel.

Antechinus

Whoops. Should read the OP more carefully. When you said static I just assumed it meant "stuck alongside the rest of it".
Got a demo anywhere?

KahneFan

Preview link added to OP.

Antechinus

Cool. I like the idea very much. I can see this being used in a lot of custom themes.

KahneFan

I tinkered with a theme with a fixed top menu, but that kind of bugged me, so I don't know that many other would like it.

adicrst

great idea, but the colors are horrible

KahneFan

Keep in mind, just the blues and grays will show up most of the time. The red will only display when there's a new message.

If you look in the previews area here you will see a sidebyside2 that I'm working on.

Advertisement: