News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF Quiz

Started by Diego Andrés, February 18, 2009, 01:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MF30

I need this mod to 1.1.8.. :'(

quiz_modder

Quote from: MF30 on February 19, 2009, 06:29:57 PM
I need this mod to 1.1.8.. :'(

Sorry, no plans. I think people should start considering upgrading to SMF 2 personally.

samurai-lupin

Too bad there is no 1.1.8 Version. Some people, like myself, will not upgrade to 2.0 as it would mean lossing all the custom modifications running on my forum. It's a pitty.

quiz_modder

Quote from: samurai-lupin on February 19, 2009, 06:50:41 PM
will not upgrade to 2.0

What, ever?? Surely the modifications that you do have will eventually be ported to 2.x?

chrisb

As you are getting alot of request what so different between 1.8 and 2.0 and most people who make mods do it for both versions

chrisb

that the reasons why this has been said on the 2.0 version , Note: As this is not a final release, we do not recommend running SMF 2.0 RC1 on a production site.

quiz_modder

Quote from: chrisb on February 20, 2009, 04:17:37 AM
As you are getting alot of request what so different between 1.8 and 2.0 and most people who make mods do it for both versions

I don't think you realise the effort it would take to provide a version for what will effectively be a superseded version of the SMF forum software. The main challenge is around keeping two versions of data access functions, as SMF2 uses a completely different access mechanism. And the quiz uses a lot of database access due to its nature, it isn't simply making a few interface changes that can quickly be fitted to work with various SMF versions.

Ontop of that, many changes would require duplicate effort. It has taken me months to develop this mod, I do not have the time nor the appetite to spend a few more months getting it to work with the older version, then doubling effort required to make many alterations and additional functionality going forward.

Bear in mind this is something I am doing in my spare time. I have a full time job along with a family, so I can't dedicate all my time to it!

I am glad there is a lot of interest in the mod for previous versions and I understand the argument for people not wishing to move to SMF2 until there is a final release. I have SMF2 running on a site that has many thousands of visitors a day and it has been performing fine, but that isn't to suggest people that are uncomfortable with pre-release software should take the plunge. I am merely stating the fact that the software is stable enough for many people to be using it, so this is the version I am targetting. When you get to the stage where you are comfortable migrating to SMF2 you will have access to this mod too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PerryM

Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 20, 2009, 07:01:44 AM

I don't think you realise the effort it would take to provide a version for what will effectively be a superseded version of the SMF forum software. The main challenge is around keeping two versions of data access functions, as SMF2 uses a completely different access mechanism. And the quiz uses a lot of database access due to its nature, it isn't simply making a few interface changes that can quickly be fitted to work with various SMF versions.

Ontop of that, many changes would require duplicate effort. It has taken me months to develop this mod, I do not have the time nor the appetite to spend a few more months getting it to work with the older version, then doubling effort required to make many alterations and additional functionality going forward.

Bear in mind this is something I am doing in my spare time. I have a full time job along with a family, so I can't dedicate all my time to it!

I am glad there is a lot of interest in the mod for previous versions and I understand the argument for people not wishing to move to SMF2 until there is a final release. I have SMF2 running on a site that has many thousands of visitors a day and it has been performing fine, but that isn't to suggest people that are uncomfortable with pre-release software should take the plunge. I am merely stating the fact that the software is stable enough for many people to be using it, so this is the version I am targetting. When you get to the stage where you are comfortable migrating to SMF2 you will have access to this mod too.

Thanks for donating your time and whatever you want to work on is fine with me, at least.  I pay folks to do work for me all the time - if there are enough folks here who want something outside a donated module then they can pool a few bucks and pay for it.

Thanks again...
Perry

Arveles

Quote from: <<Anadolu>> on February 19, 2009, 01:01:06 PM
Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 19, 2009, 03:49:26 AM
I assume you hadn't already played the quiz over the maximum times? This error could also occur if the returned XML is invalid (it retrieves the quiz information and questions that way).

I could look into this further but would need a login to your forum and the quiz you were having problems with.

ok..thanks..
http://www.egitimforumu.com
http://www.egitimforumu.com/index.php?action=SMFQuiz
user: testuser
pass: testpass
Elveda SMF...

quiz_modder

Quote from: <<Anadolu>> on February 20, 2009, 02:55:55 PM
Quote from: <<Anadolu>> on February 19, 2009, 01:01:06 PM
Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 19, 2009, 03:49:26 AM
I assume you hadn't already played the quiz over the maximum times? This error could also occur if the returned XML is invalid (it retrieves the quiz information and questions that way).

I could look into this further but would need a login to your forum and the quiz you were having problems with.

ok..thanks..
http://www.egitimforumu.com
http://www.egitimforumu.com/index.php?action=SMFQuiz
user: testuser
pass: testpass

I would suggest looking into this error a little more

http://www.egitimforumu.com/Sources/SMFQuizStart.php?id_quiz=1

What is on line 310 where it is having difficulties?

quiz_modder

Quote from: PerryM on February 20, 2009, 12:24:25 PM
Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 20, 2009, 07:01:44 AM

Thanks for donating your time and whatever you want to work on is fine with me, at least.  I pay folks to do work for me all the time - if there are enough folks here who want something outside a donated module then they can pool a few bucks and pay for it.

Thanks again...

You're welcome  :)

mrtrc266

Hello, I get this during the install of the Quiz Mod on a fresh SMF RC1

Table 'xxxxxx_testrc1.monsters_quiz_question_type' doesn't exist
File: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/testrc1/Packages/temp/SMFQuiz 1.0.3/smf2/installScript.php
Line: 159

Thanks in advance for you help.

quiz_modder

Quote from: mrtrc266 on February 21, 2009, 10:13:07 AM
Hello, I get this during the install of the Quiz Mod on a fresh SMF RC1

Table 'xxxxxx_testrc1.monsters_quiz_question_type' doesn't exist
File: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/testrc1/Packages/temp/SMFQuiz 1.0.3/smf2/installScript.php
Line: 159

Thanks in advance for you help.

If you check your database, are there any tables that have the word "quiz" in them? If so, could you list them here please?

Thanks

samurai-lupin

Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 20, 2009, 03:39:38 AM
will not upgrade to 2.0

What do you mean by saying "whatever". If you don't care to provide a serious reply you better don't reply at all rather than wasting your reader's time with these sort of phrases.

What, ever?? Surely the modifications that you do have will eventually be ported to 2.x?

quiz_modder

Quote from: samurai-lupin on February 21, 2009, 02:20:31 PM
will not upgrade to 2.0

What do you mean by saying "whatever". If you don't care to provide a serious reply you better don't reply at all rather than wasting your reader's time with these sort of phrases.

You did not read what I said, I posted "what, ever" notice the comma and space! So, I was asking if you mean't you would not be upgrading "ever". That was a serious reply, perhaps you should read more carefully!

I have spent a lot of time on this mod, I have tried to be as helpful as possible, I don't understand why you would think I would not be helpful.

PerryM

Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 21, 2009, 02:51:51 PM
Quote from: samurai-lupin on February 21, 2009, 02:20:31 PM
will not upgrade to 2.0

You did not read what I said, I posted "what, ever" notice the comma and space! So, I was asking if you mean't you would not be upgrading "ever". That was a serious reply, perhaps you should read more carefully!

I have spent a lot of time on this mod, I have tried to be as helpful as possible, I don't understand why you would think I would not be helpful.

I learned a long time ago that you get no respect with giving things away.  The more you charge the more folks appreciate what they are buying.  Ignore the folks who b-itch and moan when they are beggars - kind of like US citizens who pay no taxes and complain and complain.

I'm sure there are many folks who appreciate your efforts (they never speak up) and for those that don't (they cry the loudest) screw them....
Perry

quiz_modder

Quote from: PerryM on February 21, 2009, 03:01:45 PM
I learned a long time ago that you get no respect with giving things away.

Tell me about it. I wrote this mod for my forum and then thought "oh, other people might like this too". So I put in a lot of effort to make it available for others and now I have had a lot of ungrateful comments. Hey, I wasn't expecting gratitude, but not some of the moaning I have seen. However, I have had some nice comments too that has made it seem worthwhile.

PerryM

Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 21, 2009, 03:05:26 PM
Quote from: PerryM on February 21, 2009, 03:01:45 PM
I learned a long time ago that you get no respect with giving things away.

Tell me about it. I wrote this mod for my forum and then thought "oh, other people might like this too". So I put in a lot of effort to make it available for others and now I have had a lot of ungrateful comments. Hey, I wasn't expecting gratitude, but not some of the moaning I have seen. However, I have had some nice comments too that has made it seem worthwhile.

I run about 150 web sites using Drupal - all freebies but make about $1 a day per web site in AdSense.  I'm now getting into chat rooms and will charge $5 per year for someone to join (basic entry level) - all the folks who snivel and cause all kinds of problems are kept out - the freeloaders.

Once I get up and running I donate to the folks who help me - did it for Drupal and will do so here too.
Perry

Arveles

Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 20, 2009, 08:38:39 PM

Thanks..But I don't see Turkish character:

Elveda SMF...

Mai Pen Rai

Quote from: <<Anadolu>> on February 21, 2009, 05:07:06 PM
Quote from: S_M_F_Modding on February 20, 2009, 08:38:39 PM

Thanks..But I don't see Turkish character:

Could you let me know how this was solved???
Mai Pen Rai - means "No worries" in Thai

Mai Pen Rai.se

Advertisement: