News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Battle

Started by Chen Zhen, July 13, 2009, 08:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chen Zhen

Battle has been updated to v1.12

Changes:

Version 1.12
+ added experience restriction for battling members
+ added level range for battling members
+ added custom sessions to thwart cheating
+ changed history for losing member battle to reflect opponent experience gain
! fixed display of icons/links in profile, posting and PM
! adjusted all tables columns settings (mostly due to unsigned=true not being done)
! members table has default settings for battle columns
! battle link in nav bar does not show when mod is disabled
! added fatal_error back button href changes (via js) for battle, explore and quest templates
! fixed helptxt grammar for campaign permissions
! fixed installation for when previous version (v1.0-RC7-2) was installed (monsters table needed values added)
! time inputs for battle campaigns no longer need 0 prefix for 1 - 9 hour (24 hr clock) entry
! fixed quest source code
! fixed campaign leaderboard
! fixed permissions for campaigns to not work with post based groups (one must/should create new membergroup(s) for campaigns)
! fixed outcome of custom actions (display and database)
! fixed outcome of battling monsters/enemies deducts energy
! fixed outcome of battling monsters for stat gains/losses
! fixed battle members stat gains/losses and their display
! fixed max experience gains for battle monster or member to database config settings
! removed javascript disable back button
! filtered all admin inputs (abs, text, actions, etc.)
! fixed battle admin member source code to edit graveyard table accordingly
! fixed add column syntax within installer package
! fixed update member column in install package

This updated version is mostly aimed at bug fixes that were reported. Thanks to all who provided the necessary feedback.

Cyberhost,

The mod contains 3 language files (6 if you include the utf-8 files). You will need to copy and change those file names to be compatible with your forum's default language. Then you can edit and translate the text as necessary.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

FrizzleFried

Stats seem wrong.  See attached image.  Every person on that ATTACK board has not played the game once yet they all are set to 100...?

Chen Zhen

FrizzleFried,

The installer now sets those db columns in the member table to some defaults. The starting defaults are 100 for atk, defense, etc. so that new warriors/members that participate with Battle will be able to fight buy some items, etc.

Since you just pointed out that some admins may want to set their own defaults for their users default Battle stats, I have updated the mod to v1.13 with some extra options. You can go to Admin -> Battle -> Members and while editing any member/warrior you will see 2 descriptive check boxes on the top of the template. If you opt the one on the left, whatever you set in the stats will become default for all new warriors. So you can edit someone that has not played yet and check that box and it will setup all new members with those stats and also make them defaults for anyone that registers later.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Motorhed

As someone who's run a couple text-only browser-based games, I have to say this looks promising. I'm tryng it out, etc.

A couple things I'd personally consider "requirements" for an overall great gaming experience...

1.) Yes, Gold for defeating enemies. It could be set by the Admin on a monster-per-monster basis, or the gold given could just be based on the monster's stats and automatically calculated.

2.) Monster Descriptions. We need these. Sure, you can create a monster called "The Zelvrax" - but what is it aside from a picture? We need a Description option to put "A Zelvrax is a tremendous spider-creature with the head of an infant. It likes to feast on human blood." -- or whatever.

3.) Easier editing for Admins. I not only want to be able to change the map graphics, but what they are. I'm not happy with being restricted the "Swap", "Forest", etc. as the locations. There's a lot of stuff like that which should be changable via the Admin panel.

4.) Better explanation for what things are. Most of this is literally just tossed to the Admin with no explanation of what they're editing.

5.) Echoing what someone else has said, the random events need more than two outcome options. There should, ideally, be an "add another outcome" button under the two so Admins can make whatever number works for them.

6.) Players do indeed need an inventory, and there needs to be more types of objects. (Weapons, wearable objects, etc.) But really I can see why that would be a bother for development. How about just for now having a "Trophy Room" for players, displayed on their Profile or wherever else, that just shows useless objects attained during play? IE: A Dragon Horn, because you defeated at least one dragon... A Gold Trophy because you defeated a certain hard monster... etc. All the better if it keeps count of how many you have, though one is probably enough for bragging rights.

7.) There should be the option to fill out a text box on the Admin Monster interface that customizes the monster's attacks. So if you type "punches", when a player battles that monster it would say "MonsterName punches you(...)" instead of the generic "attacks". This could also be good if weapons are ever introduced, setting a Sword to "slice" and "slices" so Players would "slice" each other in fights, etc.

8.) If we're going to have different areas, like caves and forest, we should be able to have the monster control panel let us select where they're encountered. Like ticking and unticking boxes, or just typing in what land type they're found on. (Leave blank for monster to be found anywhere.)

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff of varying complexity that would be amazing here. I tried to keep it to what I THINk would be the least complicated stuff. I don't know.

Also, changing "gold" to any other term on the control panel causes a database error on loading the main User interface for the Battle area.

Keydet

Quote from: Motorhed on September 07, 2013, 09:12:21 PMAlso, changing "gold" to any other term on the control panel causes a database error on loading the main User interface for the Battle area.

This is actually not designed to merely change the name of what the currency is referenced to. This is actually pointing the mod to which column in the database to use for storing the money value. The help tip is wrong.

Motorhed

Is there a reason, if you know off the top of your head, that it's not simply a stylistic change only the user sees?

Chen Zhen

The setting regarding a cash system changes which database column from the members table will be used for monetary units within the game. This was originally implemented as such so that Battle can use the same cash system as other mods that use a column in the members table in this fashion (ie. SMF Shop Mod). With the next version I will add another option to allow a custom display name for monetary units as well as the current cash system option. Both will have help text that clearly describes exactly what each setting entails.  Also I will change it so when a cash system is chosen that does not exist, it will reset it to the default of gold.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Aardzol

Hi, just installed and I can see the BATTLE menu option fine! But when I or any of my SMF users log in as a normal member, I/they can't see the BATTLE option. Any ideas?

Fog

Quote from: Aardzol on September 24, 2013, 06:10:42 PM
Hi, just installed and I can see the BATTLE menu option fine! But when I or any of my SMF users log in as a normal member, I/they can't see the BATTLE option. Any ideas?

You have to go into permissions to enable them to play.

Aardzol

Thx, I thought it was something like that, but I just didn't see the options when I was looking late last night.

Interestingly, I can turn battle on/off for regular members and global moderators, but there doesn't seem to be an option for moderators.

Beowulf1976

hey,

sorry to disturb you, but I have a problem with the mod and I'm not 100% sure how to fix it..

I am currently using a Halloween theme and whilst on this theme all the images for the battle mod are not available, is there something I need to do to make them visible?  Is it a simple fix like just putting the image folders in the current theme mod?

My forum is www.wrathofwisdom.com/forum (Guild forum for RIFT)

If you could help, I would be very very grateful.

Kind regards

Beowulf

EDIT: I copied all the image files across to each different theme and so far it seems to have worked.  How do I make the campaigns I have placed within the campaign folder on the server (your addon battle zip file) visible within the game?
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

City Builder

It seems I have some creatures who stats are incorrect,

For example:
Name:   sheep
? Attack Strength:   150
? Defense:   150
? Health:   175
? Max Health:   175
? Preliminary Attack Range (MIN / MAX) 1/10      
? Evolution Setting (1 - 1000, 0 to disable):   1

However, when ever I go to battle the sheep it usually tells me that the sheep has something like 671 health points left.

Perhaps I'm just not setting the settings as listed above correctly?

Also, I think the custom encounters should be able to have a negative effect, I have tried putting in something like -10 but when I say that it removes the negative and ends up applying a positive effect if the user got that particular outcome

Also, it would be great if the items in the store were either re-orderable or were sorted in some sort of way like alphabetic order

Also, how does the attack system work? If one of my monsters has an attack stat of 85 why does it only do something around 1-5 total damage?

I'd really like to add to the numbers in this browser game so that each encounter feels more epic, you know, kind of like some games that just add zeros to the end of stats to make them feel more epic, but I'm not sure of the actual formula of how to do this and make everything balance out properly. Any help on that?

It would also be great if we had the ability to add a percentage that the player will gain some kind of a stat or gold from defeating a creature. As it is now they might go through a 20 turn battle and get absolutely nothing in return, it just makes our players feel discouraged at even playing.

A tip: for those that want to add gold into the game so that players get it from playing and not just from a timebase...

Add custom encounters and make it so that they do something like stumble over a log and have to dig into a hole that they see in the reward for it is either something like 10 gold or nothing.

Make multiples with the same text so that they don't realize that they are always going to get 10 gold if they get out number one or zero gold if they get outcome number two, make enough of these and they should proliferate the map enough that the player can get gold from these, I much prefer this way then automatically giving players gold doing nothing but coming back to the site an hour later

So I have multiple outcomes with the same description text that that give on outcome number one anywhere between one and 100 gold for just exploring a log that they stumbled over, obviously I did not want to add 100 of the same items so it goes in multiples of 10, so the user might find 10 gold or 20 gold or 30 gold etc.

Also I'm not sure how stat points actually work with regards to experience, I have 36 of 25 experience but no stat points, I would expect that when I hit 25 experience I would get one stat point but that doesn't seem to be the case, any clues?

Diego Andrés

Just a question, I installed this mod when it was outdated.
With this new version "Battle [V1.13]" I will have just to replace the files, or there are also new settings added to the db?

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Chen Zhen

Diego Andrés,

Uninstall any older version of the Battle mod you have on your forum first and then delete it from your packages menu.
After which you can upload and install the newest version.

I will be releasing another version within the next week which includes many changes and fixes.  It is currently in testing although public beta packages are also available from my site if you can not wait (site members only).

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Diego Andrés

Wondering if I'm not going to lose current custom settings or monsters?

I'll give a look to the beta, maybe I can help you to test it.

Also, this annoying message "Refreshing is not allowed, go back to the main battle page" has been solved?

I made some improves to this mod, when I get time I'll share it, also I completed the linktree, that wasn't showing the current section like the shop.

Regards

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Chen Zhen

Also, this annoying message "Refreshing is not allowed, go back to the main battle page" has been solved?

If you attempt to use the back button while battling members or monsters it will display that message or a cheating is not allowed message.  The issue concerning those error messages appearing incorrectly at times has been resolved for the next version (v.1.14).

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

bud01100

Quote from: -Underdog- on October 29, 2013, 12:16:51 AM

If you attempt to use the back button while battling members or monsters it will display that message or a cheating is not allowed message.  The issue concerning those error messages appearing incorrectly at times has been resolved for the next version (v.1.14).

Regards.
Is V. 1.14 avail for download yet?

Thanks

Great game

SA™

i guess not but you can get public beta packages here
http://webdevelop.comli.com/index.php?board=20.0
http://samods.github.io/SAChatBar/

Xbox Live: smokerthecheese 360 or xbone
My Work
Piano Movers / Delivery service
QuoteMy allies are dead.
I'm 'bout to be too.
Zombies are chasing me.
F*** it, I'm screwed -___-

Chen Zhen

Battle has been updated to version 1.14

Please peruse the first post to see the change-log information.

New Features:

+ points system
+ 3 game modes
+ additional leader boards

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

City Builder

I installed 1.14 and get this error:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/myusername/mydomainname.com/Sources/Battle.php on line 564

Advertisement: