News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Error updating to RC1.2

Started by Hagbard_Celine, July 15, 2009, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagbard_Celine

When attempting an automatic update, I receive the following error:

Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

This has happened with a couple of other packages, as well.

tyty1234

Download the patch below, and then upload it to your Packages directory.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=324169.0;attach=107116
My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

sull88

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm having the same problem with the 1.2 update. I've manually loaded via FTP, I've unzipped and manually loaded via FTP, I've tried the auto update...same results. All other upgrades/patches/mods have always worked fine.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sully

Hagbard_Celine

Worked wonderfully.

Thanks

BTW - what was the cause of the original error?

N3RVE

Quote from: Hagbard_Celine on July 15, 2009, 02:00:49 PM
BTW - what was the cause of the original error?

The Package manager may not function properly under certain server environments. Apparently, your forum's package manager may have downloaded a 0k file or didn't even download the patch at all.
I'll mark this as solved

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

sull88

Worked great for me, too. Thanks all.

npereira

i tried downloading this patch of yours,and got this error:

Wrong value type sent to the database. Array of integers expected. (known_theme_list)

Runinng 2.0-RC1-1

Norv

Quote from: npereira on July 15, 2009, 10:14:41 PM
i tried downloading this patch of yours,and got this error:

Wrong value type sent to the database. Array of integers expected. (known_theme_list)

Runinng 2.0-RC1-1

Sorry, I am confused. You got the error while downloading, or please tell all you did before you received this error?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

npereira

Downloaded the patch to my pc, then uploaded it via the package manager. Then i got the error

Norv

Please go to phpMyAdmin, and run the SQL query:

select * from smf_settings where variable = 'knownThemes';

and post the resulting line here.
(replace "smf_" with your actual database prefix)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

catfished

Quote from: tyty1234 on July 15, 2009, 01:11:56 PM
Download the patch below, and then upload it to your Packages directory.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=324169.0;attach=106862

I'm having the same problem but when I click on your link: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=324169.0;attach=106862 I get this error:

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to access this section
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

tyty1234

My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

catfished

Quote from: tyty1234 on July 16, 2009, 05:25:30 PM
Try this one. :)
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=324169.0;attach=107116

Thanks, I downloaded the patch file, uploaded it to the packages directory but I'm still getting the same "Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable." etc error message when trying to upgrade via the package manager.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Norv

Please make sure the /Packages directory is chmodded to 755, or 775, or 777, the same for its contents. Also make sure there is a /temp folder inside /Packages, also chmodded with one of the values above.

GazOutEast

manually created a /temp folder and reset it to 777 but still getting the same error as Hagbard-Celine

unable to unzip tar.gz files on this system after download to local, therefore stumped

to be honest, it's the first core upgrade I've had a problem with since uploading SMF at an early 1.1.x version.  Recommend the team have a serious and close inspection of why this one is being a problem.  Even the 1.1.8 to 2.0 RC1 went smoothly without any glitches.
I have 20:20 vision - I can see anything bigger than 20" x 20"

catfished

Quote from: Norv on July 16, 2009, 07:08:04 PM
Please make sure the /Packages directory is chmodded to 755, or 775, or 777, the same for its contents. Also make sure there is a /temp folder inside /Packages, also chmodded with one of the values above.

I checked all that and still get the same error. :'(

CatfishEd.com

Norv

I am getting the same on one of my forums and it doesn't seem to be a permissions issue, so I am investigating other possible causes.
Meanwhile, please try using the small update package: http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc1-2_update.zip.
Please upload it in the /Packages folder. Then, make sure there is no other package for SMF 2.0 RC1.2 there, to avoid confusion when Package manager lists the available packages. Simply delete other patches for RC1.2 from the /Packages folder. Make sure the newly added package, smf_2-0-rc1-2_update.zip, is chmodded 777 or 755 itself too, just in case.
Then, go in the forum's Admin > Packages, and try applying it.

npereira

knownThemes 1

Quote from: Norv on July 16, 2009, 10:56:21 AM
Please go to phpMyAdmin, and run the SQL query:

select * from smf_settings where variable = 'knownThemes';

and post the resulting line here.
(replace "smf_" with your actual database prefix)

Norv

How many themes do you have installed?

gregh

I'm seeing similiar problems on my SMF 2.0 RC1-1

1st off I had the Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty issue

Then I tried the patch which said it had installed, but it still showed as SMF 2.0 RC1-1.

I've lastly tried the small update package, but after it uploads I get the error:

An Error Has Occurred!
Could not upload package, please check directory permissions! 

Permissions are as follows:

packages subdir 777
temp subdir under packages 777

Thanks for any help,

Greg

Advertisement: