News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

ENotify

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, October 18, 2009, 04:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

The internet, servers, PHP, that kind of thing.

You physically cannot do what you are suggesting in PHP and a conventional web server.

ETA: To explain: people browsing the forum are not continually 'connected' to the server. They press a button, loads a page, and then the connection *breaks*. You then press another button, load another page, the connection is established, then breaks again.

This is how HTTP works, has always worked and is likely to continue working.

What you're talking about essentially is the server pushing notifications to the user. Now, there are ways to do this, through Comet or long polling setups, for which Node.js is ideal. But it *cannot be done* with PHP. If you *do* attempt to create a Comet style server in PHP, it's going to be taken down forcibly by most hosts, and is going to be woefully and chronically inefficient.

The reason it is 'hammering' the server is because it has to call the server every few seconds to see if there's been an update. Just like Facebook actually does.

acsieben

Hi, I installed this plugin some time ago and I think it messed up my forum real bad. :S

I have downloaded it, installed it, and I guess it messed up my mod list somehow in the process. Beside that the main issue is that the board is apparently creating enotify smf_sessions like crazy, consuming a lot of  bandwidth (from 600mb to 6Gb daily) and overloading the server, and I don't have any clue from where it could come from.

After that I uninstalled it, by checking manually if all entries had been removed against the parsed instructions, deleted enotify references from the database. I checked twice and found nothing, but apparently the plugin is still creating smf_sessions - I can find dozens of entries per minute on "Latest visitors" in cpanel calling http://mysite.com/index.php?action=enotify, referred from all sorts of urls from the board.

What can be going on? I'd be thankful for any assistance as my host is requiring me to have this sorted in 24 hours.

THanks

vbgamer45

Grab the manually install instructions from the mod site and remove any mod edits any of the mod files that fill fix your issue if it was by enotify
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

acsieben

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 23, 2013, 09:13:44 PM
Grab the manually install instructions from the mod site and remove any mod edits any of the mod files that fill fix your issue if it was by enotify

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did that and checked it manually twice afterwards...

vbgamer45

That should do it then if there nothing left in the files and delete the files enotify copied over
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

acsieben

I attached a screenshot of the log I mentioned. The referral URLs are just forum topics, most them very old, that haven't been updated or commented in a long time.

As for the files, I checked  and those were deleted as well..

vbgamer45

They should have no affect then if you click the url for enotify you should go back to the homepage

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

acsieben

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 23, 2013, 09:39:12 PM
They should have no affect then if you click the url for enotify you should go back to the homepage

The issue is that these redirections or whatever they are are being created someway unknown. If you click the link it doesn't do nothing, but each redirect is 8Kb, and there are dozens every minute.

If I go to phpmyadmin and search the smf_sessions database for %enotify% there are always around 20 entries there. If I delete those, when the process finishes I already have another 5 to 10 new entries.

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Stanley41now

It kind of looks like facebook notifications and uses JGrowl for the user interface.

acsieben

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 23, 2013, 10:19:30 PM
That's isn't a lot of traffic at a dozen a minute 96kb

It was meant to be non literal. And even so, "dozens" and not dozen.

Do you have any actual ideas on the issue itself?

butch2k

acsieben

Quote from: butch2k on April 24, 2013, 11:02:11 AM
did you remove enotify calls from every templates ?

Yes, I have only three (including default and core), so I manually went by all of them.

Below is an entry of the smf_sessions table:

Quotesession_value|s:32:"914949faa02031e71a93ec7721eb8311";session_var|s:9:"b82b2641e";mc|a:7:{s:4:"time";i:1366768628;s:2:"id";i:0;s:2:"gq";s:3:"0=1";s:2:"bq";s:3:"0=1";s:2:"ap";a:0:{}s:2:"mb";a:0:{}s:2:"mq";s:3:"0=1";}ban|a:5:{s:12:"last_checked";i:1366768628;s:9:"id_member";i:0;s:2:"ip";s:14:"136.177.xxx.xxx";s:3:"ip2";s:14:"136.177.xxx.xxx";s:5:"email";s:0:"";}
log_time|i:1366863362;timeOnlineUpdated|i:1366768628;old_url|s:51:"http://mysite?action=enotify";USER_AGENT|s:72:"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0";fb_133106873420199_state|s:32:"1c8cbee6e701e3e4088b8d394fc2ded7";

Thanks

acsieben

Hi, I guess this must be somehow server related or some odd issue with the database. I have disabled the board (maintenance = 2), and I still see those entries on the latest visitors info. I'll look for the error somewhere else. Thanks

luuuciano

Quote from: perfec2 on March 25, 2013, 02:50:51 PM
Is there a way one can make the notification steady until one clicks cancel. As I notice that refreshing or going to one of notified pages clears all the notifications.

look at jGrowl Options on
https://github.com/stanlemon/jGrowl
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Delete this

I have Enotify installed on smf 2.0.4 and users are complaining that it floods them with every post that they made since the forum was made, even if they haven't been replied to in years. But doesn't notify them of new posts and I have noticed it doesn't show messages if you didn't create the thread yourself. I tried to uninstall it, but then the who's online list shows UNKNOWN ACTION for just about everything. Is there any way to turn it off per user? If not how can I uninstall it?

vbgamer45

There is no currently no way to turn it off per user. To uninstall use the package manager to uninstall the mod.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

akbora

I am getting errors like that turkish character why?

xxxxx şu iletine yanıt yazdı: 'K?l?çdaro?lu Tek Millet diyemiyormu? sen de onun ad? nedir diyemiyorsun!'.

Where can I correct it? Thanks
SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

Advertisement: