Previous topic - Next topic

CuTe_MaN

i am sorry for asking lots of questions

but how could i find the SMTP server?

and i am using yahoo and my website s hosted on www.host.sk

so can u help me plz?

and thx

[Unknown]

I'm afraid you'll have to ask your host.

-[Unknown]

NOS ChromeNut

???

I've searched diligently through the admin panel trying to find any fields relating to underage registration on my forums and can't find a thing.  I can find this in 1.1 beta 3, but nothing before that. I've test registered on my forums and find that anyone can register and provide personal information regardless of age.

This doesn't seem to be an issue strictly relating to 1.0.5, but I didn't know where else to post this.  Maybe the makers of SMF aren't in America, but I'm concerned about continuing to use SMF without complying with the COPPA act of 1998. Maybe you others out there aren't, but in this day and age if you're collecting personal information from underage users, you are just asking for trouble unless you're following the registration steps spelled out in COPPA.

I'm probably lecturing to the choir here, but can anyone tell me how SMF is insuring that users of it's forums software/packages have the ability to remain compliant with what I and others consider a very reasonable law???

???

Grudge

COPPA compliance was a new feature added in 1.1 - you won't find it in the earlier versions I'm afraid. Also, you can effectively make your site compliant by editing the registration agreement to say something like "I confirm that I am over the age of 18 etc". If you need this feature then I'm afraid 1.1 is the only option.
I'm only a half geek really...

NOS ChromeNut

Quote from: Grudge on July 31, 2005, 12:15:26 PM
COPPA compliance was a new feature added in 1.1 - you won't find it in the earlier versions I'm afraid. Also, you can effectively make your site compliant by editing the registration agreement to say something like "I confirm that I am over the age of 18 etc". If you need this feature then I'm afraid 1.1 is the only option.

Thanks Grudge, that's just what I'm going to do.  Appreciate the input!!!

[Unknown]

You only need to comply to the COPPA if you expect or have actual knowledge of people using the site under the age of 13, to my understanding.  If your site is about Pokemon, you definitely need to comply.  If it's about guns and gaming, it's more likely you don't.

Contact a lawyer for more information.

-[Unknown]

kegobeer

A heated discussion about when and to whom the COPPA applies.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=33311.0

For further clarification, call the FTC (like I did) or contact a lawyer who specializes in COPPA related issues, like [Unknown] recommended.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Perrine

Quote from: wildcard on June 23, 2005, 12:08:44 AM
Weird.  1.0.5 isn't showing up in my Package Manager.

And I get this message when I click on the "update your forum" link on the main Admin page.

"The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF."

Any ideas?

Edit:  Nevermind.  I got it working fine through the "upload package" option.

Could you please explain how you worked it out?  I'm getting the same message...and I'm not a true rocket scientist and haven't been able to work it out. 

NOS ChromeNut

Quote from: [Unknown] on July 31, 2005, 06:58:29 PM
You only need to comply to the COPPA if you expect or have actual knowledge of people using the site under the age of 13, to my understanding.  If your site is about Pokemon, you definitely need to comply.  If it's about guns and gaming, it's more likely you don't.

Contact a lawyer for more information.

-[Unknown]

Well, I have three forums I'm hosting for online gaming communities, so it goes without saying that there will be kids on those forums. You can only police a public forum to a certain extent, and you really only need to show that you're doing what you can to protect the privacy of under age members.  I force the COPPA stuff on my forum members, even though our forums are clean and do not have any of that nastiness you see on so many forums.  We take Board Moderation very seriously and we watch all posts for content, so it's really not a necessity.  But, I thought COPPA was an American law, and that American sites must comply?

No need for an attorney, you just have to do the best you can to protect your members and if you're hosting forums that behave appropriately, you shouldn't have a worry.

Thanks for your input!!!

costas

Hi I just installed version 1.0.5, initially as an upgrade using fantastico from my hosting company. It did not work. Then (since I only had a few entries – relatively new installation) I removed smf and reinstalled it (again with fantastico). The same problems occur. No access at all. I get the following errors:

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php on line 232

Notice: Undefined index: is_admin in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Security.php on line 556

Notice: Undefined index: permissions in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Security.php on line 563

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Security.php on line 563
session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php:232)

Checking files Subs.php it appears to be identical with version 1.0.3
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Costas

dtm.exe

Quote from: costas on August 29, 2005, 05:49:51 PM
Hi I just installed version 1.0.5, initially as an upgrade using fantastico from my hosting company. It did not work. Then (since I only had a few entries – relatively new installation) I removed smf and reinstalled it (again with fantastico). The same problems occur. No access at all. I get the following errors:

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php on line 232

Notice: Undefined index: is_admin in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Security.php on line 556

Notice: Undefined index: permissions in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Security.php on line 563

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Security.php on line 563
session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/travelad/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php:232)

Checking files Subs.php it appears to be identical with version 1.0.3
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Costas

PHP 4.4.0 Compatibility

costas

I am amazed from the speed of response. You are great. I will see what I can do.
Thank you
Costas

dtm.exe

Quote from: costas on August 29, 2005, 05:55:41 PM
I am amazed from the speed of response. You are great. I will see what I can do.
Thank you
Costas

You're welcome :).

Jazhawk

Quote from: costas on August 29, 2005, 05:55:41 PM
Thank you
Costas

Don't get used to it.  Sometimes it can take 5-10 minutes to hear back.  ;D

-Jazhawk

dtm.exe

Quote from: Jazhawk on August 29, 2005, 06:01:49 PM
Don't get used to it.  Sometimes it can take 5-10 minutes to hear back.  ;D

-Jazhawk

We try our best to answer any and all questions in an as little time as possible...

azuregenesis

Quote from: Dan Marquard on August 29, 2005, 06:37:54 PM
Quote from: Jazhawk on August 29, 2005, 06:01:49 PM
Don't get used to it.  Sometimes it can take 5-10 minutes to hear back.  ;D

-Jazhawk

We try our best to answer any and all questions in an as little time as possible...

54 sec.... yup that's good ;)

mogadishu

With This "Updater" I can Update my SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public??
AHost.ro- Free WebHosting & Free Domains .
AzD.Ro - Your Gambling Source !

[Unknown]

SMF 1.0.5 is older than 1.1 Beta 3 Public.  As stated many times in the release announcement, there is no way to downgrade.

-[Unknown]

1MileCrash

when will 1.0.5 stop being supported?
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

dtm.exe

Quote from: Tippmaster on September 22, 2005, 09:32:22 PM
when will 1.0.5 stop being supported?

Possibly when 1.1 final is released.

Advertisement: