News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Automatic Newsletter for SMF2

Started by HoverClub, March 31, 2012, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KittyGalore

Not sure if this is of any help but i just enabled the mail queue and set 2 members to subsribe weekly and went to send the newsletter it went into the queue and then not so long later i received the email but was in spam folder even though it said i would receive it on the 17th. 100 percent must have done something wrong as i shouldn't have receive it. Also 4 errors showed up as well not sure if they will be of any use.

SMF Curve 2.0x

HoverClub

Quote from: naijacrux on May 10, 2020, 06:22:01 AM
Thank you for your response.the sendmail on the smf is working perfectly.i have sent newsletter directly from the newsletter section to group members and it worked.i have also ran testmail php it worked.i have also sent email from my cpanel Using the forum email linked to the forum and it worked .It is the automatic newsletter mod that is not sending out. I have even empty the queue and ran the newsletter again it only went to queue and mails were not sent out. I also noticed that the queue processing is not complete the length should be more than that. The queue process always stops have way. No mail is being sent out. The hour limit of my hosting is 180 per hour and I have sent mail to send only 3 per minute and 3 per page load yet not mail is going out from the automated newsletter mod. I tried smtp and php none is sending. What could be causing this mod not sending out emails.i just checked the queue again nothing is going out. Does the queue have limit can't it handle large members despite setting it to run 3 mails per minutes I am aware it can span for weeks so I only set newsletter to run only after 31 days due to large members. Yet the mod isn't sending emails out. Please help

As I said, if the emails are in the mail queue then it's an issue with the SMF sending process, not the mod.  I'd suggest enabling PHP mail (not SMTP) and then checking the SMF error log - if there was a problem with sending an email it may be logged as a PHP error in ScheduledTasks.php (also check the sever error log?).  If PHP mail() fails then the emails will get reloaded at the back of the mail queue - you can check for this on each page load (i.e. every time you re-load the mail queue page you should see different emails at the front of the queue - depending on how many you've specified to be sent at a time).

HoverClub

Quote from: KittyGalore on May 10, 2020, 07:31:33 AM
Not sure if this is of any help but i just enabled the mail queue and set 2 members to subsribe weekly and went to send the newsletter it went into the queue and then not so long later i received the email but was in spam folder even though it said i would receive it on the 17th. 100 percent must have done something wrong as i shouldn't have receive it. Also 4 errors showed up as well not sure if they will be of any use.
There is no way to manually send Newsletter emails (the clue is in the name - Automatic)   - the dates are "controlled" by the subscriber. 

The errors aren't an issue - they indicate you've set the picture count to > 0 without having ether SMF Gallery or SMFpacks MultiMedia mods installed (in other words, there aren't any pictures to be found).

naijacrux

Quote from: HoverClub on May 10, 2020, 04:50:33 AM
There is some issue with your hosting I would say - probably limits email rate (100 per hour is common) to avoid being listed as a spam source, and the site is sending more than that (only way I can explain why there are nearly 95000 emails in the queue!).  Check the queue after a while to see if the oldest emails get sent (removed) if not then there is an issue with the SMF sendmail process.  If they do get sent then the problem is with the host.  Alternatively, you could delete the oldest in the queue or just delete all of them from the database mail_queue  and watch what happens

@op I finally discovered the bug with the automated newsletter mod after spending hours.
This is the bug causing mail to stay in queue without sending out. Once the automatic newsletter mod processed newsletter mail and add them to queue, the mod is not being triggered to send the mails out .how I detect this is that I ran a manual newsletter which I sent to only myself using the main smf direct newsletter section .immediately I sent that one newsletter mail , it adds to the old long queue and triggers your mod automatic newsletter and all mails started going out.

Hope you got it now.so [nofollow] how do I fix the automatic newsletter mod to trigger mails out once they get to queue without having to go through the manual triggers?

HoverClub

Quote from: naijacrux on May 10, 2020, 08:23:06 PM
Quote from: HoverClub on May 10, 2020, 04:50:33 AM
There is some issue with your hosting I would say - probably limits email rate (100 per hour is common) to avoid being listed as a spam source, and the site is sending more than that (only way I can explain why there are nearly 95000 emails in the queue!).  Check the queue after a while to see if the oldest emails get sent (removed) if not then there is an issue with the SMF sendmail process.  If they do get sent then the problem is with the host.  Alternatively, you could delete the oldest in the queue or just delete all of them from the database mail_queue  and watch what happens

@op I finally discovered the bug with the automated newsletter mod after spending hours.
This is the bug causing mail to stay in queue without sending out. Once the automatic newsletter mod processed newsletter mail and add them to queue, the mod is not being triggered to send the mails out .how I detect this is that I ran a manual newsletter which I sent to only myself using the main smf direct newsletter section .immediately I sent that one newsletter mail , it adds to the old long queue and triggers your mod automatic newsletter and all mails started going out.

Hope you got it now.so how do I fix the automatic newsletter mod to trigger mails out once they get to queue without having to go through the manual triggers?
The mod doesn't trigger the sending of emails as I said - all it does is add them to the queue (and uses an SMF function to do that).   SMF deals with the mail queue after that - not the mod.  Did you check the logs or the operation of the queue as I asked? 

Every time a page loads from your site SMF checks the mail queue (if enabled, etc.) and sends whatever number of emails you've set it to do (if PHP mail they are passed to the your host email.server which then also queues them).  If the PHP mail command fails then the emails are re-queued by SMF (which is why I asked you to check the queue locations).  Again the mod has absolutely no function in all of this - once it's added the mail to the queue it is not involved in the sending process in any way.

arielvered

This mod stopped sending out newsletters after I updated to 2.0.18
Previous to that it worked great.

Bernie

Any chance this might be updated to work on 2.1?  I tried installing it without success.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
If you do this, you can become his
Evil Minion, and not just another victim.

Advertisement: