News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

@mention members

Started by Dragooon, May 02, 2014, 01:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragooon

That's not really a valid use case, the member BBC is simply to assist the mod but the actual usage is to follow @ by an username. Can you help me by trying out the latest mod from GitHub? I'd like to see if your hillybilly members can break it further.

FrizzleFried

Hahaha... I didn't see a .zip of the file there... which files should I download/replace or am I missing something?

fapencio

Thanks Dragooon for this mod, is awesome!!!!  ;D

i add 2 languages:  spanish_es-utf8  and  spanish_latin-utf8

regards!

My smf forum is 2.0.10 version
my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

Gluz

I noticed that the member suggestions appear a little down in Opera, sometimes is not in the visible area of the page, but in Chrome and Firefox seems to be OK.

I add to my own site my translation, but I think I'm going to use the fapencio's language files ;D

Dragooon

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 05, 2014, 04:14:18 PM
Hahaha... I didn't see a .zip of the file there... which files should I download/replace or am I missing something?
Download all the files using the link on bottom right, you'd need to extract the zip and package it again using the same files.

Quote from: Gluz on May 05, 2014, 07:28:05 PM
I noticed that the member suggestions appear a little down in Opera, sometimes is not in the visible area of the page, but in Chrome and Firefox seems to be OK.

I add to my own site my translation, but I think I'm going to use the fapencio's language files ;D
Are you using the current version from GH?

fapencio

hazlo Gluz, pero nadie los ha descargado todavía, quien quiera usarlos ahí se los dejo, saludos
My smf forum is 2.0.10 version
my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

Dragooon

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 05, 2014, 04:14:18 PM
Actually, I've attached the latest version. Anyone else willing to test this for me, please feel free and let me know how it is

This is really untested, do not blame me if your server crashes, steals your wife or worst

nsno

How many extra queries does this run on your site?

As in, will this tip the server over the edge on busy forums?

Dragooon

Quote from: nsno on May 06, 2014, 01:07:42 PM

It should not, I've tried to optimise it so that it doesn't cause too much burden. Basically it adds atleast 2 queries (simple single table selects) every time someone is posting a mention (none otherwise) along with n number of inserts depending upon how many mentions are there in the said post. It doesn't add any additional query on every page load or while viewing a post.

nsno

Quote from: Dragooon on May 06, 2014, 01:32:37 PM

It should not, I've tried to optimise it so that it doesn't cause too much burden. Basically it adds atleast 2 queries (simple single table selects) every time someone is posting a mention (none otherwise) along with n number of inserts depending upon how many mentions are there in the said post. It doesn't add any additional query on every page load or while viewing a post.

that's good news

and I've just realised that I used your SMF4Mobile plugin, so I know you are a clean coder

no extra queries per page load is excellent news

how do mentions work (without downloading it)? ? is it in the post area or is it a bbcode dropdown box?

Dragooon

Quote from: nsno on May 06, 2014, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: Dragooon on May 06, 2014, 01:32:37 PM

that's good news

and I've just realised that I used your SMF4Mobile plugin, so I know you are a clean coder

no extra queries per page load is excellent news

how do mentions work (without downloading it)? ? is it in the post area or is it a bbcode dropdown box?
Simply by typing @username, it picks it up and mentions the user. The post can be from post page or quick reply

nsno

but the queries are only used once someone uses the @ symbol?

very, very impressive work if that's the case!

iorkara

Quote from: Dragooon on May 05, 2014, 05:25:32 AM
Can anyone help me by testing my latest changes (they're in the mod's GitHub repository)? I've done light testing and I think they're fine, but I want to be sure before releasing it on the mod site. Here is a a summary of changes

- Add active suggestions while mentioning someone, works in quick reply as well as full post page (normal and WYSIWYG editor).
- Add Scheduled Task for removing seen mentions before specified days
- Allow setting whether e-mail mentions should be enabled by default or not (defaulted to enable)
- Fix for making mentions case insensitive (@admin = @AdMIn = @adMIN =@Admin)
- Some code cleanup

I'm very, very excited about these new updates. Fantastic work here, very much appreciated. I will wait for a official release, I'm a SMF Beginner... But yeah, this is amazing!

Gluz

Quote from: Dragooon on May 06, 2014, 12:07:08 AM

Yup, restored a backup of the forum to clean install and installed the zip with the last files.

But only in Opera is misaligned, in Chrome and Firefox appear just below the line where I typing. This is an issue of the Caret.js with Textareas in Opera 12, just Textareas and just in Opera =< 12.17, all the other browsers(Firefox, Chrome, Opera Next) work as they should except for IE as it never works like it should :-\ Tested in the demo page of Caret.js

Maybe should open an issue in their github to see if they could fix that, but I think is more by the Opera engine side.

Very little people uses that browser(<1% of my forum users say the statics), so is not a big deal to keep it that way in my forum, but for those with a lot of activity and enabled to all the users could be a problem.

Dragooon

Quote from: nsno on May 06, 2014, 06:08:19 PM
but the queries are only used once someone uses the @ symbol?

very, very impressive work if that's the case!
Yes, it needs it to search for respective members to make the mention. Otherwise no query for you!

Dragooon

Quote from: Gluz on May 07, 2014, 02:28:15 AM
Quote from: Dragooon on May 06, 2014, 12:07:08 AM

Yup, restored a backup of the forum to clean install and installed the zip with the last files.

But only in Opera is misaligned, in Chrome and Firefox appear just below the line where I typing. This is an issue of the Caret.js with Textareas in Opera 12, just Textareas and just in Opera =< 12.17, all the other browsers(Firefox, Chrome, Opera Next) work as they should except for IE as it never works like it should :-\ Tested in the demo page of Caret.js

Maybe should open an issue in their github to see if they could fix that, but I think is more by the Opera engine side.

Very little people uses that browser(<1% of my forum users say the statics), so is not a big deal to keep it that way in my forum, but for those with a lot of activity and enabled to all the users could be a problem.
Okay, I'll take a look into this in a while. Since it's Opera only it doesn't get much priority (plus it's working, so that's a win). Can you try the latest version I attached a few posts above (or get it directly from GitHub)? I did some fundamental changes in parsing mentions (mostly to eliminate the need for escaping @ symbol in usernames) and want to make sure it doesn't cause further issues before I release it. For 1.1 I guess I'm done, I'll focus on making deleting/marking mentions as read more interactive/better in future releases along with other ideas I get.

Dragooon

Quote from: Apostaganha on May 07, 2014, 08:34:25 AM
It stoped working today :shock:
What stopped working? Which version are you using?

Dragooon

Quote from: Apostaganha on May 07, 2014, 08:41:07 AM
Quote from: Dragooon on May 07, 2014, 08:39:41 AM
Quote from: Apostaganha on May 07, 2014, 08:34:25 AM
It stoped working today :shock:
What stopped working? Which version are you using?

i translated for portuguese and boommm
You mind giving me more information? boommm is no documented quantity or value...what did you do exactly and what is not working?

Advertisement: