News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Responsive Curve

Started by SMF Customization Team, April 20, 2015, 06:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

You assume these two things are separate; they're not. The lack of space forces people to choose whether to hide content or reflow it. Problem is, with tables, reflow basically isn't a proper option because browsers don't like things defined as tables being forcibly reflowed to be not tables. So the only solution to the first problem is to accept the limitations of the second, and not have the content shown.

I'd also point out that the same people on the SMF team that made this mod are the same people who did the responsive work for SMF 2.1, and SMF 2.1 works the same way as this mod, so I'd honestly be surprised if the SMF team made 2.0 + a mod more effective than the next flagship version of the software. But then again, I'm only someone who does web development for a living and a former member of the SMF team, I wouldn't know anything about any of this (nor, for example, would I know specifically who it was that made the decision to do this in this fashion in both this mod and in 2.1, even though I firmly tried to fight for what you're asking for in 2.1... it's a contributing factor to why I left 3 years ago)

Antes

Quote from: BYUFanatic on July 21, 2017, 03:34:06 AM
Quote from: Arantor on July 21, 2017, 03:23:14 AM
They could, if it weren't for trying to be compatible with all the variations of Curve out there, plus the way CSS interacts with tables (as the board index is a table) and browsers don't particularly like making tables be not table, IE especially.

So which is it? Lack of space (your first response) or incompatibility issues (your second response)?

In any case, I'm interested in hearing from the author of the mod as to whether they can put the last post in below each board. if the regular display can handle it I don't see why they can't incorporate it into the mod.

How about both ? While I/we code this modification which is ported from SMF 2.1 itself, we had limitations (unlike in 2.1), so we decided to create a placeholder modification which helps our community.

fanciboy4

Icons replaced the menu bar in mobile. But i noticed if a new menu bar is added, it will display a ? icon.

So can i possibly remove d icons displayed on mobile and replace it with the link text as it is but being arranged in order, like in rows?
Your knowledge pays..<br /><br />Free music download<br />For video  <br />https://metrohitz.com<br />Song Mp3
Music Jam Mp3

Kindred

Just add the correct icons when you add a menu item
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

fanciboy4

I don't want icons displayed. I wanted text links as it is. Please how can i achieve that?
Your knowledge pays..<br /><br />Free music download<br />For video  <br />https://metrohitz.com<br />Song Mp3
Music Jam Mp3

SampleWEBM

Kindred

Quote from: fanciboy4 on August 20, 2017, 03:57:53 AM
I don't want icons displayed. I wanted text links as it is. Please how can i achieve that?

I believe that the switch form text to icons is handled by CSS....

So, probably in index.template.css
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

Quote from: Kindred on August 21, 2017, 05:27:28 AM
Quote from: fanciboy4 on August 20, 2017, 03:57:53 AM

I believe that the switch form text to icons is handled by CSS....

So, probably in index.template.css

responsive.css

NeedIt

I just built a test forum by the following process:

a) Installed 2.0.9 and then patched up to 2.0.13 and stuck with the default theme.

b) Installed the Ad Management module

c) Installed the Responsive Curve module.

Everything above worked seamlessly as far as the responsive part, i.e. it form fits onto my phone and all looks well.

The part that doesn't work is that the ads do not display.  It is as if I did not install Ad Management at all:  no add displays and there is no sign that that mod was in place.  I put in a wide variety of ads with various placements in board 1 and none of them display at all.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  If so, how can I solve this?

Another comment:  I am open to any mod or strategy that will let me display a 3-4 banner advertisements in the Responsive Curve theme.  Any help is much appreciated.

br360

Quote from: NeedIt on September 05, 2017, 11:16:32 AM

Another comment:  I am open to any mod or strategy that will let me display a 3-4 banner advertisements in the Responsive Curve theme.  Any help is much appreciated.

You might consider a portal mod. I know on simple portal for example there is code you can edit that takes the right side blocks and places them underneath the users online list; and places the left side blocks on top of the forum when viewing on mobile. Although from what I remember, making edits yourself might not be necessary as I think those edits are already included for those that use simple portal in the responsive mod anyway, and should work.

You can then use the portal blocks as advertising using either php or html code placed in them

Antes

3rd party mods needs to adapt themselves to this modification.

fanciboy4

I noticed the title of a post is hidden in mobile.
Music Jam Mp3

Marple

Quote from: landyvlad on January 29, 2017, 02:37:33 AM
My users have noted that viewing the forum from a number of various devices (ipads, surface pros etc) that images don't size to fit the screen... but stay large and require 'scrolling sideways' to view - which is far from ideal.

This happens both with attachments and images from the gallery (in this case SMF Gallery pro).  Is there something I can do so that images resize to suit when being viewed from mobile devices?  Thank you !

Hi @landyvlad did you ever solve this problem? I have the same or similar issue with visitors using safari on iPhone / iPad. Android seems to work OK and images are resized to the screen width. On the safari browsers the images have to be scrolled to see them properly. I've looked through the rest of the thread but can't figure out if you managed to resolve your problem.

It would be useful to know if you did please. Or any suggestions from anyone else if not.

Best wishes,

Mark W

Antes

Quote from: fanciboy4 on December 07, 2017, 04:44:28 PM
I noticed the title of a post is hidden in mobile.

If its too big, yes it will happen to avoid the overflowing. We can solve this problem but requires more changes which may not worth at this point.

Quote from: Marple on December 15, 2017, 02:31:02 AM
My users have noted that viewing the forum from a number of various devices (ipads, surface pros etc) that images don't size to fit the screen... but stay large and require 'scrolling sideways' to view - which is far from ideal.

This happens both with attachments and images from the gallery (in this case SMF Gallery pro).  Is there something I can do so that images resize to suit when being viewed from mobile devices?  Thank you !

Hi @landyvlad did you ever solve this problem? I have the same or similar issue with visitors using safari on iPhone / iPad. Android seems to work OK and images are resized to the screen width. On the safari browsers the images have to be scrolled to see them properly. I've looked through the rest of the thread but can't figure out if you managed to resolve your problem.

It would be useful to know if you did please. Or any suggestions from anyone else if not.

Best wishes,

Mark W

Can you link a page with this issue, I'll check it when I have time.

Marple

Quote from: Antes on December 15, 2017, 04:36:45 AM
Quote from: Marple on December 15, 2017, 02:31:02 AM

Best wishes,

Mark W

Can you link a page with this issue, I'll check it when I have time.

Certainly @Antes, thank you. Here are a couple of threads that demo the problem on iPhone / iPad (looks like I don't have enough history to post real links!):

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=7190.0 [nofollow]

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=7080.0 [nofollow]

Antes

Try this;

Code (Find) Select
@media screen and (max-width: 780px) {
Code (Replace) Select
.bbc_img {
max-width: 100%;
}

Marple

Quote from: Antes on December 15, 2017, 10:40:15 AM
Try this;

Code (Find) Select
Code (Replace) Select
.bbc_img {
max-width: 100%;
}

Thanks Antes, that seems to work on the iPad when viewed in portrait. Should I copy this same code to each of the other @media screen resolution lines in the code to make it work at all sizes?

Gwenwyfar

That will automatically get applied to everything from 0 to 780px. If you want it to work for all sizes, you can add that outside a media query (or inside one with the limit you want).
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

fanciboy4

Is there a way title of a post can be displayed, because it hides in the CSS..

And also hiding *Author* text and post read times to be more fit on mobile.

Am not good at CSS, and I know many of this mod users needs this.
Music Jam Mp3

Dav999

As for unhiding titles on posts, find .keyinfo h5, .keyinfo .messageicon, #messageindex .last_th in responsive.css, and take out .keyinfo h5,

Advertisement: