News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Only first page of forum works after migration to a new server

Started by lather, September 13, 2017, 06:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lather

SMF 2.0.14 
PHP Version 5.4.21

We had our web content migrated to a new server by the host company. Our old server is still running and the old hosting contract does not expire until 10/31. The website is base on Word Press and the forum is SMF and we have about 800 members. After the migration was completed the Word Press content is as expected. The forum main page comes up as expected but none of the internal links work. With Fire Fox or Explorer I get a blank page, with Chrome I get a non specific error message.

I have red or skimmed through several threads here about migration issues but none seem to be the same as ours.
I have read the  3 steps of "How do I move my SMF forum to a new host" and it seems like step 1 was covered by the paid migration.

Step 2 I do't know. I am not clear on the wording in step 2 as to HOW to move the database. Is the proper method to make a backup and then restore to the new server.

Step 3. I hope very much that running repair_settings.php will fix us up. But how do I run repair_settings.php since I cannot access any admin functions.

I want to insure the new forum is running before I set DNS for the new site, so the only way to access the new site is with an entry in the Windows hosts file: Below is the entry you can add to your hosts file:
198.12.150.155 ridemsta.com
I tried to include links but get a message "Sorry you are not allowed to post external links"

I appreciate you taking time to read this long post and thanks in advance for any and all advice and suggestions.

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

lather

I ran Repair_Settings.php several times trying various options and still the only page that works is the main index. The only thing I have not tried is Remove All Hooks. The instructions say  "Do not use this button unless you know what you are doing." And I am not sure that I fully know what I am doing! I do not want to remove mods but I will if necessary. One mod that I have read about that may be causing the problem is Pretty Urls and we do have this mod installed.

Any suggestions or advice will be very appreciated.

Illori

then you should post in the pretty urls support topic for further assistance.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lather

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 19, 2017, 04:41:18 PM
Link to your forum?
www.ridemsta.com
but the new server is not live yet,
I want to insure the new forum is running before I set DNS for the new site, so the only way to access the new site is with an entry in the Windows hosts file: Below is the entry you can add to your hosts file:
198.12.150.155 ridemsta.com   Pita I know.

Thanks

edit: that link turned out weird, let me try again:
www.ridemsta.com

lather

I am still troubleshooting my attempted move of our SMF forum to a new server. Looking at our old server I see dozens of core files at around 68 mb each starting in January 2014 and continuing to the present. A quick google tells me these are memory dumps from script crashes. Seems obvious to me these should not have been moved to the new server and should be deleted. Is there any reason not to delete them from the old server? They are also in the Word Press folder and the Public_HTML folder.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: