News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 RC2 Released

Started by Sesquipedalian, March 30, 2019, 12:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinglis

Noticed now an RC4 milestone, so anyone able to confirm that may mean we get RC3 sooner rather than later - just curious please don't shoot the messenger  ;D

Deaks

what cab be confirmed is that you will get RC3 BEFORE RC4
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

shinglis

Quote from: Deaks on August 25, 2020, 02:15:15 PM

Ok asked for that. LoL

Seyit replikacep.com

R3 RC4 RC5 RC 6 goes on and this continues to SMF

Deaks

Quote from: shinglis on August 25, 2020, 03:01:50 PM
Quote from: Deaks on August 25, 2020, 02:15:15 PM

Ok asked for that. LoL

you did :D

Seriously what it looks like is the team have taken alot of the smaller issues in essence and moved them to RC4 and left bigger ones to Final.  Alot of them have a fix assigned so it really just needs the fix tested and confirmed by team to be merged in.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

SpacePhoenix

Will compatibility testing with PHP 8 be done with RC3 or RC4?

SD-X

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on August 25, 2020, 07:59:37 AM
For RC3 are we literally just waiting for the pull request to be implemented?
I haven't checked it yet today, but last I read yesterday, they just had some minor details to work out, including fixing one bug that was somewhat unrelated to that final report. Sesquipedalian also requested some changes, but he has mysteriously vanished over the last few weeks from what I can see.

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on August 25, 2020, 05:04:03 PM
Will compatibility testing with PHP 8 be done with RC3 or RC4?
PHP 8.0 is not out yet and that is a huge undertaking. I'm doubting that will even be a part of the final release of SMF 2.1 unless the changes necessary are small enough before a final release is made. PHP 8.0, from what I've read, is a massive change in their codebase that is going to significantly effect compatibility with web applications across the internet.

Irisado

Various spam and off topic replies have been removed.  It is unfair to members having on topic discussion to keep littering this topic with spam and off topic contributions.  Any future off topic posts will be removed without subsequent notice.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Illori

please remember this topic is about SMF 2.1 RC2. this topic is NOT about any other version.

DenDen60

Quote from: Illori on September 06, 2020, 04:08:13 PM
please remember this topic is about SMF 2.1 RC2. this topic is NOT about any other version.

LOL. OK So looks like RC2 is complete and RC3 is coming. :-)

PS. Suggestion, it is a good think to let member be happy about a release. It creates hype.

escc-forum

Hi can you please clarify for me what the latest version of SMF is as we are currently running SMF 2.1 RC2 but I notice
SMF 2.1 RC1 released 4 Feb 2019
but upgraded from 2.1RC1 to 2.1RC2 25 Apr 2019

but SMF 2.017 which appears to be an older version was released later on 30 Dec 2019 ???

We have a few issues with our current version so it would be great if there was a newer version.

shawnb61

SMF 2.0.17 is the latest production release.
SMF 2.1 RC? are 'release candidates', and are not advised for use on production forums.
If you are already on 2.1 RC2, you will need to wait for 2.1 RC3, as there is no migration path from RC2 => 2.0.17.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Hey guys, I'm still in the arena of looking around all the forums and which one to use. I've come back to SMF and phpBB - the thing is being mobile ready is a big thing on my list. I just checked some of the Themes for the Beta and I was thinking it actually looks pretty good the few there are. Anyway, going to try it again and install it again and try out the Themes on my mobile and get a feel of it.

Anyway, I just saw you fixed all the bugs for the RC3 as well? But I don't see it around anywhere - I guess the last touches are still being made. Oh well. Nothing else then to try it out and see how the themes shows up on my mobile. phpBB seems more... I don't know, but I was very interested when I saw what already had been made for the new Mobile ready SMF... It's a hard choice you know choosen something which might be needed and used for years.

I've given up on Flarum, thinking about it - it works in this modern way which I find confusing and really the old model worked just fine! But it is Mobile ready although still in beta but looking at how one of the main programmers trashed FluxBB for mobility and turned to Flarum who knows what will happen then with Flarum. And they kinda booted me as well from the forum, a couple of times as well last time I was on fire to try it out, use it and set it up. It seems they are kinda more touchy on things and closing topics which are interesting here and there, very anoying. Although I wonder if they are more touchy as well with things because this new modern way of handling things with Tags might have its weaknesses compared to the old working model which has stood its time.

So thinking hard on it, what might be the better choice, phpBB and SMF seems to be the better choices. And the Community is less aggressive and more welcoming. Which is also kinda important if one wants to seek help and support. Without some braines to help out here and there - it's going to be hard overall when one gets into an issue down the road.

Both phpBB and SMF seems to still be alive and ongoing php forums, I'm just concerned somewhat in regards of how the mobility is. I'm going to install SMF again and maybe phpBB on my hosted server and make another test drive.

The problem I had with phpBB was that its just not totally to my liking, like there is not really a theme that seemed to do it for me as in regards of what I wanted. SMF seems that it is more in the style that I wanna, I just gave up on it because the mobility was still in Beta last time. But, it seems it can be used anyway, even if it is still in Beta. The Themes seems to be somewhat more of the nature I'm looking for, and more I'm sure will come as time goes. So anyway... Sorry, I think a lot over things... Just download and install I guess and try it out again and the themes ;)

I think there was like 4 or 5 mobile themes for the new Beta on the site - can't remember if there was anything else with SMF out of the package.

Anyway, anyone have some SMF forums to check out that are active? I guess it is easy to add a top bar to SMF? maybe...
This is using markup right? The good old standard which forums have used and which has stood it time. Not the new modern markdown nonsense which usually ruin my text when writing because it activates here and there.

Hmm, looking at the post reply thing here, reminds me of a text editor and it seems to work very well.

Anyway, I was just thinking about the RC3 as everything seems to have been fixed on the github page as far as I could see.

Dearly Regards and Jehovah bless
- Darkijah - confused person still on the lookout for a foundational forum for mobile use.
Dearly Regards - Darkijah - May Jayshua the Anointed, God Almighty who died for the Sins of the world bless you with wholesome health and eyes to see!
Websites: https://jesusisgodalmighty.life and https://paven666.dk

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Just an idea, although it might already be fixed in the new version. My name is clearly to long for the forum - would be nice if it maybe made it smaller automatically so it would fit if it goes beyond where it should. Anyway, might have already been fixed in the new version. Another way of cause to get around this is to narrow the letters you can use for names.

Anyway, I had something else on my mind which I seemed to have forgot when I saw the fluck. Oh, yea I remember now - is the Forum in the tongue of Danish? Not that I care but the users might to at least one of the things I was thinking of using a forum for.

Dearly Regards again - and thanks for all the help, going to read some more on the forum.
- Darkijah
Dearly Regards - Darkijah - May Jayshua the Anointed, God Almighty who died for the Sins of the world bless you with wholesome health and eyes to see!

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Dzonny

Regards the RC3, yes all issues are sorted on github, so stay tuned :)

You can find nice responsive themes, or even customize existing ones to fit to your needs. 2.0.x also has some nice responsive theme, so might worth to try it as well.

Antechinus

We are staying tuned. We have been staying tuned for a couple of weeks now. :D

SD-X

Quote from: Antechinus on September 24, 2020, 03:44:42 AM
We are staying tuned. We have been staying tuned for a couple of weeks now. :D
Just weeks? :P

JesusIsGodAlmighty.Life

Quote from: Dzonny on September 24, 2020, 03:17:07 AM
Regards the RC3, yes all issues are sorted on github, so stay tuned :)

You can find nice responsive themes, or even customize existing ones to fit to your needs. 2.0.x also has some nice responsive theme, so might worth to try it as well.

Awesome, I'll have a look on the themes of 2.0.X - I just thought they had to be for the beta. It seems there are 6 pages of themes for whatever 2.0.x I'll have a look at some point. It seems one needs to install things 1 by 1, like I wanted to just install all the themes by one action yet it seemed I need to do it manual for each one of them when I tried last. Well, not a biggie - was just wondering.

Advertisement: