General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on October 22, 2009, 04:31:46 AM
@Arantor> Actually, your post made me think... Is it really THAT impossible? I was in bed when it occurred to me: of course not! It's only Javascript! Why not make sure to call it only when the videos show up? So I did it! I quickly enabled the "recent posts" list on my homepage, got it to show a copyright notice, uploaded my modified version, reloaded the page and -- voilà! No more copyright notice on the page :) This will be in Aeva 7.0.702, I'm working on uploading it.
I am sure plenty of people will like this change :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Nao 尚

I sure think too :)
And at last I'll be free of these complaints from users who don't know a thing about how parse_bbc() works. Phew!
The only thing I dislike is that now, there won't be a way to know if parse_bbc() is being called for nothing. Ah, well!

Anyway, without further ado:

Aeva 7.0.702 is out!

Changelog

Version 7.0.702                                 22th October 2009
-----------------------------------------------------------------
* Added admin area layout compatibility for SMF2's Curve theme
! Aeva will no longer show its copyright notice on pages
  where no videos are actually shown
! Fixed widescreen support for YouTube (recent change in their code)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Nao 尚

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Nao 尚

Quote from: LexArma on October 22, 2009, 01:47:25 AM
You did not understand the readme correctly. Updating the newer versions of aeva without uninstalling, means simply overwriting files with FTP. If you are "updating" through the package manager, you need to uninstall the old versions first - and I think it says that in the package manager when you are installing as well...
+1

Just one detail to add -- a later version of Aeva 6.9 requires the uninstall/reinstall process to be made. Although it is not mandatory, it applies Karl's fix for "empty body" errors which happens when posting a link and nothing else in a message.

Arantor

Nao, I have to admit I made my comments without full knowledge of how AEVA works; my understanding was that it was called whenever parse_bbc was, which is in a ton of places. Anything concerning JS never occurs to me until too late...

One idea, now I'm awake - again bearing in mind that I don't know AEVA's innards - is to set a $context variable if you actually embed something and use that as the trigger?

Nao 尚

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2009, 06:09:52 AM
Nao, I have to admit I made my comments without full knowledge of how AEVA works; my understanding was that it was called whenever parse_bbc was, which is in a ton of places.
It is, it is! It's just that the JS headers are added when the parse is done, but I used to call the function in onload right in the headers, while I could simply add the onload inside the block for the first video to show up. That way, although the header function is still loaded anytime Aeva is called, the function itself will only be called if a video is shown. I still can't believe I stumbled on that for months ;) (Well, I didn't think that much about it, but still!)

QuoteOne idea, now I'm awake - again bearing in mind that I don't know AEVA's innards - is to set a $context variable if you actually embed something and use that as the trigger?
"Is to set"...? I guess there's a missing word here?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think it's just a bit strangely put, it is "One idea is to set..."
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Nao 尚

Lol, I missed the beginning of the sentence ;)
No, the current solution works perfectly, why change it :)

Tiribulus

You rock dude.

I confess, I didn't like the Aeva notice on every page, it was especially annoying with my theme, but I didn't say anything because I know how much work you put into this mod and was happy to have it anyway. I suspect you'll now be carried on the shoulders of adoring fans who were much more bothered by it than I was

Nao 尚

Lol. Well, just like I don't care about Aeva's reputation/popularity, I don't care about demonstrations of happiness either ;)
If you feel like you need to give back, you can send positive thoughts if you want, or donate of a couple of bucks if you insist, either to me or a charity ;)

Rowdy

QuoteWhy not?

I hate your politics and your general attitude but have respect for production and being proud of the quality of one's work. I'm not interested in one of your flame wars. I am giving you a compliment. When you said this right after saying you don't care about your labor of love, it just doesn't jibe with not caring. And, you saying you don't care about the reputation of your work is not only obviously false but from my philosophy downright evil if true.

QuoteAll I know is that I've done my best on it, I've spent months working like crazy on it, often wasting sunny morning trying to bust a bug I met the previous day, or going to bed several hours after my girlfriend does just to get something finished ... Otherwise, it's just a matter of not wanting to give me credit for the service I'm offering.

Peace- not flame wars.

Nao 尚

Quote from: RowdyMusician on October 22, 2009, 08:58:02 AM
QuoteWhy not?

I hate your politics and your general attitude but have respect for production and being proud of the quality of one's work. I'm not interested in one of your flame wars. I am giving you a compliment. When you said this right after saying you don't care about your labor of love, it just doesn't jibe with not caring. And, you saying you don't care about the reputation of your work is not only obviously false but from my philosophy downright evil if true.
If I were to worry about the reputation/popularity of all the things I did in my life and I'm proud of, I wouldn't be finished in 20 years.
Some things are successful, some aren't. In the case of things I take over, like SMG and Aeva, I just try to retain the original popularity (and even then, it probably doesn't need my help for that -- look at YouTube BBC, I didn't do anything with it and it's permanently in the top 10 downloaded mods -- I have no idea whether it'll be more popular once I add Aeva's features to it). The rest is in the eye of the beholder. I know I did a good job and I don't like criticism when it's not constructive (e.g. complaining about a feature, but not offering an alternative). That pretty much sums it up.

Rowdy

Being popular is of no value. The mob is often wrong. If you work hard to produce something of value that people choose to use, then you should be proud of your work. The false protestations of sacrifice don't ring true. You enjoy the labor and almost everything that goes in it, even sniping back and forth with people maybe. Nothing wrong with that, its a like a passive aggressive Socratic method.

If you like fiction, I recommend Atlas Shrugged. If you prefer non-fiction, I recommend The Virtue of Selfishness both by Ayn Rand. Just my opinion, but I sense you would be happier (and more fun to deal with) if you created a separate, for purchase version of AEVA. Maintain the free one at bare levels as promotion for the pay mod and as good PR, etc.

Peace

searchgr

I try to uninstall AEVA 7.0

and i get this error:

Execute Modification     ./Sources/ModSettings.php     Test failed

Akyhne

Quote from: Akyhne on October 21, 2009, 06:24:08 PM
I think people have said what should be said.... right!
We really don't like arguments in here, so posts will be deleted from now on!

gffb

I am trying to embed an mp4 video file, I have added the link in a post but when viewing the post I just get the player bar with playback controls but no video screen.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on October 22, 2009, 04:41:07 AM
I sure think too :)
And at last I'll be free of these complaints from users who don't know a thing about how parse_bbc() works. Phew!
The only thing I dislike is that now, there won't be a way to know if parse_bbc() is being called for nothing. Ah, well!

Anyway, without further ado:

Aeva 7.0.702 is out!

Changelog

Version 7.0.702                                 22th October 2009
-----------------------------------------------------------------
* Added admin area layout compatibility for SMF2's Curve theme
! Aeva will no longer show its copyright notice on pages
  where no videos are actually shown
! Fixed widescreen support for YouTube (recent change in their code)

It was an expected Upgrade.

You have did an remarkable job Nao. I feel comfortable in using your mod for the last couple of months and even now.  :)

Hard Work and Efforts will sure pay you one day. ( may be i do it one day )  8)

Congrates for AEVA and SMG ( Wonderful Mods on SMF ever build ).

Uninstalling previous version... And installing the New one...  ;)
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Nao 尚

@searchgr> proceed, and uninstall from that file manually.

@rowdy> Ayn Rand isn't translated in French. I discussed her works with a friend last week, but we have yet to read them, lol.
As for a pay-for version of Aeva, when I took it over, I promised Karl Benson I'd never sell it. I keep my word. I can only accept donations, and yet at the beginning I refused to get them. Now, let's just say I'm becoming softer in that area.

@ask> They're certainly good mods for multimedia fans. I'm sure they won't please everyone though. Otherwise I guess they would have been integrated to SMF itself or something ;) (At least a lite version of Aeva or something for starters.)

Nao 尚

After SMG2's silent update, here's Aeva's turn, lol.
The sitelist admin page was broken in Curve, too. I don't often load that page, sorry...
Fixed in the silent update. (Hopefully.)

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on October 22, 2009, 03:46:18 PM
After SMG2's silent update, here's Aeva's turn, lol.
The sitelist admin page was broken in Curve, too. I don't often load that page, sorry...
Fixed in the silent update. (Hopefully.)

It was an impressive update.

As said earlier i had issue with two videos on pages.

After uninstalling the latest one, i found the version 6.3.25 i hope is still running with many bugs.

Manually removed all the bugs and got the services working perfect with the latest fix.

Hope the Footer concept fits perfect on the running page. Congrates for it.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Advertisement: