[Request] MOD to change Username to image :)

Started by Didds, July 19, 2009, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbsothere

If you're going to extend yourself to try to be nice around here, you may need to borrow this:

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

gbsothere

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Didds

[/center]

Arantor

How exactly would you like this to look? It's possible to make it generate the images automatically but I'd need to know how you want them to look, after that it's a minor theme mod.

Didds

Well if it's easier I would prefer to make the images myself :D
Here's how I want them to be (Go there and look at their names) thelandingforum.com/

I made all their names manually. Which is easier to do? Manual or automatic? If it's automatic, would I be able to customize how they images come out? If so that would be preferable :P
[/center]

kat

Quote from: Didds on July 25, 2009, 11:31:59 AMHere's how I want them to be (Go there and look at their names) thelandingforum.com

You'll need to enable guest-viewing...

Didds

Ohhh lol I don't have admin privileges on it :P
They're like this:

[/center]

Arantor

Hmmm.

If it's done manually, every time a user wants to change their name you'll have to do a new image. If it's done automatically, well, how much customisation would you want? If done automatically this may well be a mod just for you.

Marcus Forsberg

I've been on vacation. :)
It'd be easy to generate them automatically, but as Arantor mentioned, we'd need to know how much you need to customize each name.

Didds

All I'd need to customize would be the actual name and the colour :)
[/center]

Marcus Forsberg

Would the users be able to choose color them selfs?

Didds

Yeah, that would be good :) Or they would have to tell me what colour they want. If there was an option to have both that would be good  ;D
[/center]

Marcus Forsberg

So a summary:

When users change (or set for the first time) their username, they can choose a color. A image is then generated (Using a font set by you), and replaces their username in posts?

Didds

Yess, but what do you mean by "username in posts"? I want their username across the entire forum to be the image.... ;)
[/center]

Marcus Forsberg

Okey, that works aswell. ;) I'll start working on this, tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

Didds

[/center]

Marcus Forsberg

Progress is doing great. I'm currently weoking on the settings for admins (Choose font etc). Then I'll just create the setting where users can choose their color, and finish of by adding a nicer touch to the image. ;)

Didds

[/center]

Marcus Forsberg

Here's an early beta of the mod (Attached at bottom). Please note that all features are not added in this version - Also, this version is only for SMF 1.1.x (I usually start by doing 2.0, and then do 1.1.x, but this time I did it the other way).
I'll update this beta to 2.0 tonight.

Even though this is a beta it works perfectly fine, though as mentioned some features are missing - Mainly the option for members to choose color.

Username Images 1.0 Beta 1
Displays a bar in posts and/or profiles, showing how active the user is.
Link to Mod | Development topic

Author: Nas
Type: New feature
Available since: July 26 2009
Latest version: 1.0 Beta 1
Compatible with: Beta is compatible with 1.1.x only. 2.0 version under development.
Available languages:

UNDER DEVELOPMENT
Please not that this mod is not yet finished. Though it works perfectly fine on a frsh installation of SMF, not all features are added and there are a few bugs.

What does it do?
Username Images replaces all usernames around the forum with an automaticly generated image.
Admins can choose font and size. Members can set their image color them selfs.

How does it work?
Username Images uses the GD module to generate a transparent text image using the settings set by admin, and the color choosen by each member.
The image is used in certain key locations such as board index, message index, posts, profiles and more.

How to use
To use Username Images, download the package from the SMF customization site, and install it via your Package Manger.
Then head over to the settings page* and make sure everything is set as you want it to.
Usernames all around the forum will now be changed to images, and users can select their own personal color through their profile.

* = Settings are located in
Admin > Features & settings (1.1.x)

Support & comments
If you have a problem with this mod, want to comment, or have any question, please post to the modification development topic and I will reply as soon as possible.

Other information
Original idea
o Requested by Didds in [Request] MOD to change Username to image :).
Translation of this mod
o I am always happy to get translations of my work so that more users can use it. If you have translated this modification, please post the translation in the development topic.
Please make sure you have translated everything, and that there are no spelling misstakes etc.
Also, please post both a non-UTF8 version and a UTF8 version.
Please note that repeat changes to the language fiels will occur while this modification is still in beta.
Credits
o Thanks ccbtimewiz and Robbo for helping me out when I killed my servers using the wrong code. :P

Changelog
1.0 Beta 1 | July 26 2009
$ Development starts and Beta 1 is released.

Changelog legend
+ New feature
- Feature removal
! Bugfix
> New language
< Removed language
* New version support
$ Initial release / Big update

Versionnames
Format: $.o.x.!
Example: 3.2.4.1

$ New version