[WIP] Menu Editor

Started by Matthew K., August 21, 2010, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew K.

Hey everyone! I just thought I'd stop in and give a little update on what I've been doing lately...

Since June, ScottyBoy and I have been partnering up and coding a mod site. Which is why my activity on SMF itself has dropped a ton within the past couple months.

In turn, the mod site is just about done, and I have decided to take a short break from developing the actual mod site and it's systems to construct a highly requested mod, and also one that I have considered developing previously for quite a long time.

What am I developing? A Menu Editor.
Some may ask, how is it different from a mod such as this mod, this mod, or even this mod?

The answer is very simple. The mod that I am currently developing is completely database driven.
For version 1.0, you will have complete control over SMF's default menu, and the option to configure a top menu.

Here is the feature set for version 1.0.

Version 1.0 Feature Set

• Database Driven Base Navigation System
  • Add Tabs
  • Remove Tabs
  • Re-Arrange Tabs
  • Configure Top Navigation System - For sidewide navigation
  • Restore to Defaults
  • Completely Permission Based Editing
  • Sub-Buttons with same featureset

I would most definitely like opinions. Or, if you have a question, feel free to ask.

I will post screenshots shortly.

Note: The feature set for 1.0 is not guaranteed and is subject to change. Screenshots taken during development are also not the final product as changes are still being made.

Labradoodle-360

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

vbgamer45

I would like it.

Hmm maybe someway to import menu options like if a mod is installed
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Matthew K.

The Add a Button feature would work for that? However, I will probably release some Portal Patches if allowed by the portal author that add the portal button automatically.

vbgamer45

I was thinking at least with SMF 2.0 you can parse the array and check it against the database and if isn't found add a menu item.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

hadesflames

This is actually a planned feature add on for the dream pages on DP. I planned to implement it around v1.0.1

Matthew K.

Cool! And thanks for the suggestion vbgamer, I'll look into that.

Not had any time to develop today, but the project is definitely coming well.

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Matthew K.

Thought it was about time I released a screenshot.

And of course, this is all subject to change.

Direct Link: http://i38.tinypic.com/mtpdv9.jpg

Labradoodle-360

Oya

what about submenus and stuff or what about permissions

vbgamer45

Looks nice I would add permissions too if you can by membergroup

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Matthew K.

What do you mean? The "Show" field allows you to define who it shows to.
Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 23, 2010, 12:55:33 PM
Submenu's are coming. This is still in development, and I am doing one function at a time.
Quote from: Oya on August 23, 2010, 12:35:46 PM
what about submenus and stuff or what about permissions

Oranos

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on August 23, 2010, 01:28:44 PM
What do you mean? The "Show" field allows you to define who it shows to.
Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 23, 2010, 12:55:33 PM

Because it's not at all user friendly. Also, using it like that means a bunch of unnecessarily complicated code.

excaliburj

I think that you would want plenty of explanatory text covering variables allowed in the 'Link To' (tokens for $boardurl and $scripturl at the least, I would suppose) and how to construct the 'Show' (would it take a regular in_array of group numbers; does it allow logical ORs/ANDs,what are some of the basic permission 'flag' names like can_admin/can_moderate/is_guest that can be used), either on this screen or in a Help popup (or some of both).

And, I fear the concerns about user-friendliness may be true. Unless you have this as the 'advanced' interface and a 'simple' one limited to checkboxes and/or select dropdowns, it's going to have a lot of users absolutely stymied (just what you're trying to alleviate by making menu modifications easier).
Random Sig Line

KensonPlays

so if you put in "true" field: "is_admin" only admins can see it? and only "is_guest" for guests?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Matthew K.

As these suggestions have come in, and I have considered the best approach to a better system, I am working on a complete overhaul of how the mod works.

Thanks guys! I'll post some updates as they come.
Labradoodle-360

KensonPlays

* Kcmartz thinks that Runic is incorrect.
* Kcmartz thinks this is very worth it!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Deaks

and we all know about you kcmartz dont we :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

KensonPlays

* Kcmartz says not. He can be unpredictable!

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Matthew K.

Please, can we get this back on topic? This is for a Menu Editor. Not for discussing Kcmartz personality or predictability.

Also, Runic: I think that was very uncalled for, and it was definitely discouraging.

Advertisement: