News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Odds and sods

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, February 21, 2019, 05:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 21, 2019, 12:07:35 AM
Moderation security has nothing to do with admin security (it didn't in 2.0), but I'll try disabling it.

<sigh> Still wants admin password with both disabled.  Same thing on out-of-box and modded installs.

Just because it didn't in 2.0 doesn't mean it doesn't in 2.1 - in 2.1, both admin and moderation have separate security protocols (thus, separate putting in the passwords for both), and they both use the same code to do it.

When you say 'out of the box', out of the box *what*? RC1, RC2, a specific GitHub revision?

Sir Osis of Liver

RC2 github download from 7 July.

Quote from: lurkalot on July 21, 2019, 03:32:45 AM
Just out of interest, was your Moderation Security enabled by default?F2.1/issues/5481

Yes it was.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

So there's still two different possible versions it could have been depending on *when* on 7th July you pulled it... when you download from GitHub you get a string of letters and numbers, this can be used to identify very specifically what version of 2.1 you have if you are not using an RC build.

Makes it much quicker for anyone to investigate what's going on...

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, did clean install with today's github package, clean database.  Works like it should.  Where is the github id code?

Settings.php is different, all comments have been removed.  When/why was this done?

Quote from: lurkalot on July 21, 2019, 03:32:45 AM
Just out of interest, was your Moderation Security enabled by default?F2.1/issues/5481

Default settings are admin security enabled, moderation security disabled.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Hmm, I thought the filename contained the GitHub hash, because it does if downloading off a master branch (like everything I download off GitHub normally) but if you're on a non-master branch, you're a bit out of luck. However when you download it, you can see the identifier next to the download button - it's usually worth making a note of this. See attachment.

As for Settings.php, the master version - https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/blob/release-2.1/other/Settings.php - has comments, so either they're stripped by the upgrader or they're stripped by whatever you're doing to get the comments. Not sure whether you're copying the version from other/ into the root before installing a fresh install. If you're upgrading, you'll have whatever version you had before - which won't have the comments since 2.0's didn't have lots of comments.

This also assumes you're not using albertlast's nightly build, where things might be different again. (And this is why it's really useful to know exactly what build you're referring to because these things can change)

QuoteDefault settings are admin security enabled, moderation security disabled.

This makes sense, the moderation security check didn't exist in 2.0.

Sir Osis of Liver

I see the last commit code now.  Often don't notice things like that unless I know to look for them (eyes are shot).  The stripped Settings.php was created from scratch by installer in current d/l (e0848c8).  I've always used the download button in your screenshot to get current package.

- R. Waters

Illori

if you did not copy the Settings.php file over, it is possible the installer would create one for you which would be missing all the comments.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's a complete scratch install.  Earlier RC2 install created Settings.php with comments, as per earlier versions, current package creates stripped file.  Don't know if intentions are to stay with stripped file, but that would make things difficult for supporting new users.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

Yes, if you do not provide the template, the upgrader will save a bare bones settings.php with no comments or logic - settings only.  It will do this on pure vanilla installs.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

albertlast

You will got a better live when you use the nightly download.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

JeanCremers

hi, i have the member approval count bug. This is suggested as fix:

> You can fix it by switching back to Admin Approval, and then recounting the stats from the maintenance routine area

But i can't find a way to recount stats, where is that please?

JeanCremers

never mind, found it, sorry.

Advertisement: