News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perplexed

Quote from: elliel on July 28, 2005, 06:25:41 AM
I have this installed to display down the right hand side of the screen and its length is set at 600px but I dont like the empty space beneath it - I also dont want it to run any longer.  It is possible to adjust this somehow to put something else underneath it in the space, like maybe another mod or the bookmark thread box or something?

So anyway... does anyone know what I mean and how to fix it? 

Col

I can only see the login page, and I am not joining up. If you don't want it, just remove the code from the template. I'm guessing that I don't fully understand you. :(

perplexed

sorry I closed the open membership since I posted this first message, I don't want you to join up to see the problem, sorry if you got that impression.

you can vary the length and the width of the width of the shoutbox in the admin section BUT the main page of the board has quite a lot of categories which makes the length quite long.  The shoutbox runs down the right hand side of the screen from the 'key stats' box to the end of the page, even though within that section the actual shoutbox and text is a lot shorter, but still that whole section is used by that mod and so you end up with a big blank space underneath the shout box text.  The only thing that makes a difference is to make the shoutbox really really long so that it fills the whole space but then that still seems like a waste of space to me.  Since the shoutbox/shouts are only about 700px long then I would like to put something else in the space below it which is just black space.

I'm not sure if that made it clearer or not :)

Col

Hi Elliel,

I don't think this is a shoutbox problem really. You are just looking for ideas of what to place under it. You could move the newsbox there I suppose, but then you'll be left with space in the header section.

It obvious you've gone to some trouble with your template, but there are some obvious problems. The width of your forum is considerably wider than 1024px wide, so unless you have a wide screen monitor, you have to scroll across.

What you could do, I suppose, is make two fixed width forum templates, one for 1024px width monitors, and one for 800px monitors. You'd actually have all the main parts of the forum within the 800 or 1024px, and you'd have to scroll across to view the shoutbox. Just a thought. - It would keep your forum large (according to members particular monitors and resolutions), and would be putting the shoutbox in some extra side space.

I'd still have a default template that was dynamic, that included the shoutbox, and then they could choose one of the fixed width templates from their profile options in they so desired.

Col

Grudge,

Sorry, another bug. At least you should be refreshed from your hols! :D

When I try using the xml refresh, it screws up the width of the shoutbox in FF. - It ends up a lot skinnier than it should.

Also, when the shoutbox is loading on the forum page in FF and NS, it first displays all the shouts to be displayed in one long column, way beyond the set length, but when finished loading, and the shoutbox has returned to it's correct length, there is space left under the footer because of the page stretching on short pages. I'm not sure how much of this is a shoutbox problem, but does it need to do this? - Can it be resolved?

Thanks.

perplexed

Quote from: Col on August 06, 2005, 08:30:30 PM
Hi Elliel,

I don't think this is a shoutbox problem really. You are just looking for ideas of what to place under it. You could move the newsbox there I suppose, but then you'll be left with space in the header section.

It obvious you've gone to some trouble with your template, but there are some obvious problems. The width of your forum is considerably wider than 1024px wide, so unless you have a wide screen monitor, you have to scroll across.

What you could do, I suppose, is make two fixed width forum templates, one for 1024px width monitors, and one for 800px monitors. You'd actually have all the main parts of the forum within the 800 or 1024px, and you'd have to scroll across to view the shoutbox. Just a thought. - It would keep your forum large (according to members particular monitors and resolutions), and would be putting the shoutbox in some extra side space.

I'd still have a default template that was dynamic, that included the shoutbox, and then they could choose one of the fixed width templates from their profile options in they so desired.

Hi

I didnt do anything to the width of the forum, it just came that way, so I don't understand why you say it's too wide :(  I use a laptop and I don't have the scrolling problem, it seems to fit my screen ?

*confused*

But yeah about the space under the shout box, that is exactly the problem, there's a bit empty space underneath but I don't know how to move anything there :)

noppid

Is it me, or do the instructions for this leave ALOT to be desired?

It's just not making sense. :/

EDIT:
OK, maybe I'm slow, I got it. Much more to learn.

Thanks for the code, great feature.

katharsis

This is a great mod.  It really makes a site look alive.  The ShoutBox has become very popular at the hxxp:feathermoon.net/log/ [nonactive] at hxxp:feathermoon.net/ [nonactive].

Yesterday, I did something wrong when upgrading ShoutBox (to get the auto refresh feature) and the module got installed twice making the forum inaccessible with the popular error
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare smfshout() (previously declared in /home...

Panic ensued.  I am no web developer.  I calmed myself down and began reading every post in this thread.  I tried uploading a fresh copy of Subs.php as described here and that worked well enough to get me back into Package Manager where I uninstalled Shoutbox again. 

Now everything works fine again.  But in the "Features and Options" section I have two instances for Shoutbox, one of which is for the old version.  I could ignore it since everything is working fine but I would like to make it go away.  Is there anyway I can do this manually without uninstalling the entire mod?

Ride

Quote from: Elijah Bliss on July 03, 2005, 02:39:11 PM
Quote from: Grudge on July 03, 2005, 08:23:37 AM
mixel/Elijah Bliss,

Can you explain a little more what is wrong with guest posting? I tried it and it seems fine to me? Exactly what settings (Both settings and permissions) are you using and what is wrong?

I have it set to members only response. The form disappears when integrated in to mkportal and mambo, it doesn't even show for the admin. The only way I can get the form to show is by either iframing the shout function or moving the form to the shout_display() function.

This is my same exact problem.

Kero_1116

anyone know where to edit the shoutbox in smfshout(); and edit the width of the Message Box

Jay T

Everything seems to be installed correctly but cannot see the shouts.

BTW, I am using 1.1

Col

Quote from: Kero_1116 on August 16, 2005, 07:12:23 PM
anyone know where to edit the shoutbox in smfshout(); and edit the width of the Message Box

This is in admin; it's a setting for the shoutbox.

IamV

Quote from: weekend camper on July 29, 2005, 03:18:44 PM
Quote from: IamV on July 28, 2005, 04:28:55 PM
Quote from: IamV on July 23, 2005, 05:53:01 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked, I did several searchs & didn't find it in the 35 pages of this thread...

How would I add either the smiley previewer to the shoutbox, or preferably a link for the smiley pop up? 

Does anyone have an idea?

Look around (my version is line 900ish of 1.0.5) of Post.template.php.  That should get you started.

I still have not been able to successfully do this, does anyone else have any ideas, tips or suggestions?

Anihc

I have changed the way the "View All" link functions and now it goes to the full screen like it should instead of the small frame (my website uses frames as disussed many pages back. I was also able to change the delete buton the same way (which takes you to the forum index and not the shout page?)

1. How do I get the delete button to take you to the shout page instead or better yet NOT change the page?

2. How do I get the member link to go full screen instead of inside the page. It does do to the member profile but it does so inside the frame. I changed all the href command inside the shout template to top but it seems the member profile link s hard coded differently. It seems to use a default code from somewhere else to link if I am making any sense of it.

I can live with number one not going to the shout age but number two just makes my page look goofy when that small frame it is inside of is changed to the forum index, you can't read any of it at all so it ust looks terrible.

Anihc

tL0z

Hello,

I have the forum in portuguese and I'm trying to install the shoutbox. However, when I upload it says that the file is currupt?

How can I solve this?

Thanks

Mobilemick

Ok have nearly  installed Shoutbox with the package manager in DirectAdmin,  But get this

1.     Extract File     ./Sources/shout.php     
2.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/shout.template.php    
3.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/script_shout.js    
4.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/images/deleteshout.gif    
5.    Execute Code    shoutPdb.php    
6.    Execute Modification    index.php    Success
7.     Execute Modification     ./Sources/Subs.php     Success
8.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ModSettings.php Success

Now what do i do,   lol

Thank you
Mick

Col

Quote from: Mobilemick on August 29, 2005, 05:02:32 PM
Now what do i do,   lol

Thank you
Mick

Read Grudges opening post to this thread. I posted this some time ago, it may help you also: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=8415.300 , reply 312.

Mobilemick

Thx m8,  i now done that :)

but now a new error. 
QuoteFatal error: Call to undefined function: smfshout() in /home/mick/domains/mobilemick.com/public_html/smf2/Sources/Load.php(1040) : eval()'d code on line 183

Have just  read all the posts  :'(  but only saw it mentioned twice  :)

Also lost me " Who`s online box at bottom of screen)

Mick

Mobilemick

??  Ok did a fresh install of SMF  and now shoutbox is working,  but i need to import my members and topics, 

any ideas

thanks
Mick

weekend camper

try this Mick.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=46834.0

(and this question is better/faster asked in a different board, as most wouldn't look here for it).

Advertisement: