General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plusev

I think you are missing my point completely, perhaps by choice, and making an issue out of nothing. My point is simply that if posts weren't moderated Nao would have more response to his requests for feedback. Thats all. I believe people by nature will not want to get involved in anything moderated - case in point - the rude "so what" I just got. I really dont care either way and you must have your reasons but a pleasant statement rather than a slapdown would be more "community" don't you think? So am I on the S list now? Thx

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nao 尚

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Nao 尚

Quote from: plusev on October 12, 2009, 06:25:48 PM
I think you are missing my point completely, perhaps by choice, and making an issue out of nothing. My point is simply that if posts weren't moderated Nao would have more response to his requests for feedback.
I don't think so.
Generally, when people are interested in something, they will post about it.
Every time I asked a feature people liked or even disliked, they reacted to it. Now they're just uninterested in that particular feature, hence the lack of feedback.
It's no big deal, I just worked on it for a couple of hours -- I wasn't expecting to have something that would be a revolution for Aeva. I figured the current solution is quite good, too. I may simply add a "max_height" value sometime in the future (in addition to max_width).
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Akyhne

Quote from: plusev on October 12, 2009, 03:26:32 AM
No offense to the powers that be, but ... I think the post moderation is slowing, if not killing, any feedback you might be getting Nao. That said, personally I like the java based idea as long as it doesn't slow performance.

+EV
People are asking the same questions again and again. At some point, it gets annoying for support helpers as well as the author.
That has led to several arguments, not only between the author and people asking questions, but also between members. I actually don't think I have seen one question in this moderated topic that hasn't been answered at least one time. There's even a few questions - and I'm not kidding - that has been asked at least 50 times or more.

Nao 尚

Quote from: Akyhne on October 13, 2009, 12:13:14 PM
I actually don't think I have seen one question in this moderated topic that hasn't been answered at least one time. There's even a few questions - and I'm not kidding - that has been asked at least 50 times or more.
What's the saying already?
"You can't make a 250-page topic without breaking eggs" :D

plusev

I wasn't aware of the past thread issues - I've just been following this thread daily. I knew there had to be some back story going on. Really didn't mean to stick my nose where it doesn't belong but was just reflecting personal experience with the forums that I run - which is - once a thread gets moderated, even if due to it devolving from trolls, it gets awfully quite. Anyway, feel free to delete my comments.

Quote from: Akyhne on October 13, 2009, 12:13:14 PM
Quote from: plusev on October 12, 2009, 03:26:32 AM
No offense to the powers that be, but ... I think the post moderation is slowing, if not killing, any feedback you might be getting Nao. That said, personally I like the java based idea as long as it doesn't slow performance.

+EV

People are asking the same questions again and again. At some point, it gets annoying for support helpers as well as the author.
That has led to several arguments, not only between the author and people asking questions, but also between members. I actually don't think I have seen one question in this moderated topic that hasn't been answered at least one time. There's even a few questions - and I'm not kidding - that has been asked at least 50 times or more.

plusev

I like anything along the lines of max width/height. Anything that gives full control over the presentation is plusEV.

For the record - aeva is one of the finest smf mods and your work is appreciated.

+EV

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on October 13, 2009, 12:05:05 PM
Quote from: plusev on October 12, 2009, 06:25:48 PM
I think you are missing my point completely, perhaps by choice, and making an issue out of nothing. My point is simply that if posts weren't moderated Nao would have more response to his requests for feedback.
I don't think so.
Generally, when people are interested in something, they will post about it.
Every time I asked a feature people liked or even disliked, they reacted to it. Now they're just uninterested in that particular feature, hence the lack of feedback.
It's no big deal, I just worked on it for a couple of hours -- I wasn't expecting to have something that would be a revolution for Aeva. I figured the current solution is quite good, too. I may simply add a "max_height" value sometime in the future (in addition to max_width).

Nao 尚

Quote from: plusev on October 13, 2009, 12:49:31 PM
once a thread gets moderated, even if due to it devolving from trolls, it gets awfully quite.
- Aeva is pretty popular as it is
- It's stable enough that most people can use it out of the box and never suspect anything bad could happen
- It's a support topic, it's there for people to use when needed... Not for discussing off-topic matters ;) There's aeva.noisen.com for that  O:)

Arantor

http://www.webcomparte.com/foro/simple-machines-forum-(smf)/bugs-en-el-mod-de-aeva-7-0-701-para-smf/ details a pair of bugs for the mod.

Came through the reporting tool but as far as I can tell they're not security issues, thus should be posted here. Link's in Spanish though.

Kindred

odd.... he's claiming that the mod does not respect the [code ] BBC and attempts to parse URLs inside the code tags.

his "fix" is a hack and really doesn't make alot of sense.
Actually, I'm not sure that is even part of Aeva...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Well, it's an interaction between AEVA and GeSHi AFAICT but I don't know AEVA very well at all - just passing it on for evaluation.

Nao 尚

Aeva (like SMG) has its own way of parsing messages. Also like SMG, it does take care of code tags by protecting them to avoid parsing anything inside them. It also protects php tags, and even quotes if the right option is enabled in the admin area.
Conflicts with...what?

I can vaguely read Spanish but I'm not willing to. English is easier for me. Tell him to repost in English ;)

gitchuone

The following question has been brought up numerous time through the life of this thread, but there hasn't been a specific answer really. I WILL fix this for my site, and I will do my part to document the "fix" as I'm sure someone else will do this again.

This being... tried to upgrade to 7.0 from 6.9.9 and apparently the uninstall of 6.9.9 missed some stuff, so even though 7.0 installs "successfully" all my previously embedding posts, and newly embedded posts are showing duplicate videos where it should only post one.

Throughout the thread the over-all consensus is to manually remove the mod installation. It's just been left at that. I've tried to install and uninstall mods manually in the past and for a novice SMF user, this isn't easy. I think there is a communication issue when reading the "parse"'d information on how to manually install mods, so it seems way overbearing to modify .php files if you're not familiar with how the code should be.

At this point I have uninstalled both versions from my forum using the Package Manager. I get the following list.

1.     Execute Modification     ./Sources/ModSettings.php     Test successful
2.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Load.php    Test successful
3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Post.php    Test successful
4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test successful
5.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva.php    
6.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva-Admin.php    
7.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva-Sites.php    
8.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva-Custom-Example.php    
9.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english.php    
10.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.french.php    
11.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.french-utf8.php    
12.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english-utf8.php    
13.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english_british.php    
14.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english_british-utf8.php    
15.    Delete File    ./expressInstall.swf

Now, this leads me to believe that for the mod to be fully "uninstalled" I will need to ensure the files that are listed to be "Deleted" (Delete File) are actually deleted. That's easy enough. Then, I will have to manually go through the .php files in the /Sources directory and ensure any of the Aeva functions are gone. This is where things can go wrong I'd assume. Deleting too much or too little from this file can FUBAR every other Mod installed? We'll find out soon enough!

From this point and UP in my post is all pre-manual-uninstall. I will post again/modify post when I have done the manual uninstall. Any suggestions for me prior to starting this would be appreciated.

gitchuone

Alright I got it to work by doing the following.

Apparently the Uninstall does not fix references to Aeva in the following files.

1.     Execute Modification     ./Sources/ModSettings.php     Test successful
2.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Load.php    Test successful
3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Post.php    Test successful
4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test successful

I just searched these files and removed the functions that reference AEVA.

Then I had to manually remove the rest of the files from the server. I then was able to install 7.0 like it was being installed for the first time ever.

Akyhne

malcomxar

Hi, this error is showing up in my error log

8: Undefined variable: first_topic
Archivo: /home/gptlatin/public_html/foro/Themes/default/languages/Aeva.spanish.php (main sub template - eval?)
Línea: 233

I renamed one of the language files to "Aeva.spanish.php" as my forum is in Spanish

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nao 尚

It's not in Aeva. Look into index.template.php at line 233, probably some other mod playing with it.

Kindred

BTW: To expand...   when you see "eval?" it usually means that the error was DISCOVERED in the file notes, but the ACTUAL error came from another file
Слaва
Украинi

Vrohopoios

Hi all

I would be grateful if you could spend some time to give me a helping hand.

I would like to embed a live stream player to my smf forum from hxxp:livestream.com [nonactive] but the embed code doesn't work when I post it. On the other hand the player does work when I post the direct channel link, since the previous forum owner has installed AEVA. How am I supposed to make the actual embed code work, in order to have the option to edit the player without uninstalling AEVA?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Keep up the great work.

Advertisement: