News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 1 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, November 21, 2014, 12:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radu81

Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 11, 2015, 06:26:43 PM
However that's because SMF's attachment manager is archaic.

I asked for a better attachments handling one year ago and I was accused by "emotional balckmail"  :D :D

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=514812.0
sorry for my bad english

Steve

Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 11, 2015, 06:26:43 PM... please don't assume that it's undesirable addition to the core software ...

Not sure if you're talking to me (since you quoted me) or the software developers but if it's me, I honestly did not see why there was a desire for this. Your post shows me why. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

You asked for it in a way that came across as trying to persuade us by emotional blackmail rather than on the merits of what you proposed.

radu81

Arantor I blame my bad english :D it's not so easy to express myself  always in the right way ;)

I did not asked for anything in 8 years using SMF, but that was important for me and not only for me
sorry for my bad english

Arantor

As I said at the time, if you'd just stuck to trying to convince us on the benefits of it (and not 'because <other system> has it' and definitely not 'because you suck if you don't have it' which is what it felt very much like), we would have been much more amenable to it.

radu81

I thought that naming 3 free scripts (including kunena which is a "joke" compared to smf)  + 1paid which has that option into core was a good reason, but obviuosly was not :(
sorry for my bad english

Arantor

No because it doesn't actually say anything about why we should - only 'you suck compared to these people'.

Imagine if I went to your site and said 'hey, you suck because you don't do this thing that other sites do'. You'd feel insulted, right?

radu81

Quote from: Arantor on January 12, 2015, 11:23:40 AM
'you suck compared to these people'.
could seem like that, but was not my intention

QuoteImagine if I went to your site and said 'hey, you suck because you don't do this thing that other sites do'. You'd feel insulted, right?
Yep!
sorry for my bad english

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Steve on January 12, 2015, 09:01:40 AM
Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 11, 2015, 06:26:43 PM... please don't assume that it's undesirable addition to the core software ...

Not sure if you're talking to me (since you quoted me) or the software developers but if it's me, I honestly did not see why there was a desire for this. Your post shows me why. :)

I'm talking to anyone who will listen :) I think it's important that the developers are made aware of the kind of functionality forum owners and users would like to see in their software.

Arantor

Yes, the developers are aware of it. The fact remains that unless someone actually wants to write it, test it, debug it... in their spare time...

I have to be honest, this mentality is part of the reason I left the dev team... because it felt like an eternal grind of never ever being good enough. :(

Suki

Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 12, 2015, 01:01:17 PM

I'm talking to anyone who will listen :) I think it's important that the developers are made aware of the kind of functionality forum owners and users would like to see in their software.

The developers are already aware.

This "you SMF devs meanies won't add my suggestion" has to stop, really. We are aware, in fact, we are beyond aware to the point of knowing whats factible and whats not, the does and dont's, the pros and cons, the limitations and all that.

Its not about not wanting to listen. It simply comes down to time constraints and manpower, thats all.

For 1 person who request adding X there are 10 that complains about delays and slow development :(
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Arantor

Thank you, Suki, for saying what I was trying to say - better than I said it.

Deaks

also as soon as Dev's implement one request then X amount will complain that their idea's wasn't implemented, so they have to decide what more people are wanting over the thought of 1 person.   End of day if only 1 person asks for a feature, and 25 ask for another then they are likely to more side with the 25 as its more asked for his assumes both idea's are feasible.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

or, even more annoying:

You did what I asked for, but not the way that I actually wanted.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mojohaza1

Is there an ETA for the release of the stable version?

Arantor

Only 'when it's done'. This is done by volunteers in their spare time, remember...

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Suki on January 12, 2015, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: zappaDPJ on January 12, 2015, 01:01:17 PM

The developers are already aware.

This "you SMF devs meanies won't add my suggestion" has to stop, really. We are aware, in fact, we are beyond aware to the point of knowing whats factible and whats not, the does and dont's, the pros and cons, the limitations and all that.

Its not about not wanting to listen. It simply comes down to time constraints and manpower, thats all.

For 1 person who request adding X there are 10 that complains about delays and slow development :(

So what exactly are you saying? That suggestions for improvements are unwelcome? I'm not entirely stupid,  I donate a substantial amount of my free time working for a charitable trust. I also write and maintain a number of free to use add-ons as well as help maintain an influential admin forum. I fully appreciate the constraints placed on such services when they are provided free of charge. However, unlike yourselves I welcome suggestions and discussion on how I might improve upon the services I provide.

Let's be absolutely clear, I simply made a suggestion that might improve the functionality of the software. The fact that you have gone so quickly on the defensive speaks volumes.

Incidentally, I was asked to make this and a few other suggestions by one of your developers, I can now see I am wasting everybody's time. I won't bother you again.

Kindred

It is not that suggestions are unwelcome.
  The method of the suggestion and the fact that so folks harp on things is an ongoing issue, though...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Kindred on January 12, 2015, 07:37:20 PM
It is not that suggestions are unwelcome.
  The method of the suggestion and the fact that so folks harp on things is an ongoing issue, though...

As I said, I was asked to post a number of suggestions by one of your developers. That's all. If there's a preferred method to facilitate this then I suggest you make that clear in some way because I'm not aware that I've breached any forum rules.

Kindred

You have not breached any rules... Just touched on a touchy subject in a somewhat "bull in a china shop" sort of way.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: