News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tair

Quote from: Naolington on January 08, 2010, 01:49:11 PM

@tair> Where is your problem with Russian characters? Folder names don't need to be readable... As long as AM can deal with them. It's better to have unreadable characters recognized by the DB, rather than the other way around.
The converter is written for maximum speed. If you have problems on your remote server, install a local server, import your old gallery there, then upload the files and database to your server.
Mass move is in Aeva Media. Use the Check All button at the bottom of any album page... Then 'Move'.

Ok the problem is that i got ~4k photos with russian names in folders with russian names and database in UTF8 with readable russian names.
Your mod doesn't understand them at all. Sorry but it's kinda easier to fix engine than to search some kind of wrong decoder to decode absolutely manual normal foldername in russian without special chars to smth abrakadabrish like "__1090;__1077;__1089;__1090;__1086;__1074;__1099;_ " and all stuff in database from readable russian stuff to unreadable "С,есС,овый_альбом_РґРІР°". Plus it's old problem, there was problem with greek utf-8 names too as i can see. Probably it's better to fix one time then to postpone all this to someday in future.
Btw this is first mod i've seen since 2005 when i started using SMF that needs not normal foldernames but encoded.
and btw....i don't understand - why this problem appeared with ut8 as it's multilangual rather with cp1251 that is completely buggy sometimes...but mod works there.

Nao 尚

Quote from: clothahump on January 08, 2010, 12:04:15 PM
Following screenshot is me logged in as Competition Manager, I am unable to add sub albums to Competition albums as I do not own them.
Who owns them?

Are you logged as admin or not?

QuoteI installed Aeva Media because I mistakenly thought it would add functionality (as advertised) not remove it.
The album limit is only inspired by the fact that I know people who have hundreds of albums in their database. It takes an awful long time to load every page when you have admin rights on everything and they're all loaded every time....
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Nao 尚

Looks like a language file issue to me. Is it loaded in the correct folder and everything?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Arantor

Quote from: Naolington on January 08, 2010, 01:49:11 PM
PS to moderators: please tell me when you approve messages right before/after I posted... It's very likely I won't see them otherwise. I discovered unread messages while reading through the backlog of messages here.

Sorry, my bad. Though I seem to be approving posts regularly so I'd be forever letting you know. (Though very soon it won't be anything to do with me any more.)

Just approved some more...

Matthew K.

Definitely a language file issue.

What version of SMF are you running?

clothahump

Competition Manager is an Admin so has the same permissions as myself.

Arantor

Is there support for English_british and English_british-utf8 in Aeva Media?

Nao 尚

Nope... Was in Aeva 7, but I didn't feel like counverting the MGallery.english.php file to British, so I just removed it all.

Arantor

There's your answer then. The user is using English_british, which doesn't have a language file for AM, and I'd be guessing that's a pre 2.0 RC2 build there because 2.0 RC2 should be loading the English normal lang files anyway.

Nao 尚

Forgot to mention...

Alpha 3 is out!

Version 1.0 Alpha 3                               January 8, 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------------
+ Added a Welcome message to the gallery homepage.
  You can customize it via the admin area or, if you want to have it in
  several languages, $txt['aeva_welcome'] in your Modifications language files.
! Added a safer way of renaming tables in installer, and more minor fixes
! Updated language files: renamed 'FTP' tab to FTP Import, improved the task description,
  and added a hint to the 'No file sent' error when uploading: most of the times, it
  should be due to having a file larger than allowed by the server's php.ini settings.
! Albums previous considered as 'general' were not always being handled correctly.
* Renamed FTP to FTP Import. Will now sort album list by owner, show owner names next
  to albums, and mark items as seen for you as soon as you finish importing them.
* Updated arrow icon that represents moving an album to be the child of another album
! When adding a new album, made sure the album list in the 'Target' settings has all
  sub-albums that weren't created by the parent's owner. As long as they're in the tree.
+ Added 'master' field to album table, which represents the current branch of the album
  tree for a given album. Updated lots of functions to account for this new system.
* Optimized aeva_getAlbumParents() function to no longer require a SQL query on
  top-level albums, and to only use a single query for all sub-albums.
! Fixed item titles in UTF8, and limited their length to 255 characters.
* Updated template to match the SMF2 RC3 Curve layout. Won't look so good on RC2 now.
! Rewrote Permission and Quota profile pages to show the correct number of users for
  all groups (excluding non-activated members), and fix various little issues.
* Renamed 'Default' profile name to 'Default profile', if you know what I mean.
! Fixing a very annoying auto-embedder bug that silently corrupted single quotes
  in messages containing links. Apparently it has been in there for years...
! Embedded Video titles were no longer being retrieved. Not as old a bug.
@ There are still several known issues, mainly with permission profiles and
  remote direct file embedding. I don't have 4 arms, as we say in France.

Quote from: Tair on January 08, 2010, 02:14:31 PM
Ok the problem is that i got ~4k photos with russian names in folders with russian names and database in UTF8 with readable russian names.
Your mod doesn't understand them at all. Sorry but it's kinda easier to fix engine than to search some kind of wrong decoder to decode absolutely manual normal foldername in russian without special chars to smth abrakadabrish like "__1090;__1077;__1089;__1090;__1086;__1074;__1099;_ "
It's actually a filename based on те etc... Which represents a numeric-entity encoding of UTF8 text. This is how all UTF8 is stored internally by Aeva Media.
I did it that way because I was having problems with some servers not accepting UTF8 filenames. In the end I probably should have immediately used a different system (e.g. simply using the album ID as folder name was in my plans...), but back then I wasn't the only developer working on this, and it was sometimes hard to make a strong decision on something so important. As long as it works...

Quoteand all stuff in database from readable russian stuff to unreadable "С,есС,овый_альбом_РґРІР°".
Well, I don't know about that. It is probably some UTF rendered as ISO...?
Starting from Alpha 3, item titles are also entity-encoded, like descriptions. Haven't checked about albums though.

QuotePlus it's old problem, there was problem with greek utf-8 names too as i can see.
And I fixed that.

QuoteProbably it's better to fix one time then to postpone all this to someday in future.
I can't rename folders if you can't access them. I guess you probably moved files from a server to another, and the paths were incorrectly updated, or something.

QuoteBtw this is first mod i've seen since 2005 when i started using SMF that needs not normal foldernames but encoded.
This is probably also the first mod you've seen since 2005 that has 25.000 lines of code and a single man to handle them all. Fulltime. For free. Don't complain too much okay? My girlfriend is already complaining enough for all of you. :P

Quoteand btw....i don't understand - why this problem appeared with ut8 as it's multilangual rather with cp1251 that is completely buggy sometimes...but mod works there.
Simply put -- I don't use UTF8. I've had too many problems with it in the past. I remember one time I used the UTF8 conversion maintenance task in SMF2, and it completely screwed up my forum. Thankfully I had made a backup before that (it's not exactly a 'routine' task to launch), but since then, I've been quite frightened with the idea of switching to UTF. And, yes, being French and speaking Japanese, I do see the point of using UTF. But all in all, converting UTF to numeric entities makes sure that it all works on all configurations. Except for the occasional minor bug like in the Greek UTF discussions. Which I can fix.

Arantor

Nao 尚

I was hoping to have many more features this time around... But seems like the entire week was spent fighting against new calamities. Just small details that I didn't want to let go. In the end I haven't even dealt with half of the problems. I don't even know if most people are having them, since there's only a handful of people reporting about the bugs...

Maybe I should just release it as is, without additional features, and call it quits. I feel kinda empty. :(

eg208

Arantor

Quote from: Naolington on January 08, 2010, 05:18:25 PM
Maybe I should just release it as is, without additional features, and call it quits. I feel kinda empty. :(

No, I think it's because it's marketed as an alpha, and it's the hybrid of two mods people have depended on for a while - so they're waiting for beta/later than beta before an upgrade.

[SAP]Francis

MGalleryItem.php?id=1 gives me an empty white page. :S

Also, it still shows Alpha 2 in the package manager even if you have Alpha 3.

Vehicles Forum

Founded By Francis Morissette

Nao 尚

@eg208> And I didn't change anything to the quota system in Alpha 3... So you probably fixed it by changing your variables around ;)

@Arantor> I don't know, Alpha 1 was downloaded by 1000+ users in a day. It was pretty huge... Alpha 2 could barely do half in a week, and Alpha 3 is starting slow as well. Thing is -- Alpha 1 was definitely buggy and I was hoping for a slow start, while Alpha 2 was more solid and I was intent for a bigger start. The opposite happened. I'm wondering whether some people never read the 'alpha' mentions, the big bold red disclaimers and things like that... And then, when it crashes, they say it sucks and never come back. I'd been holding up for a Christmas release to please everyone. Hopefully I didn't screw it. :P

@Francis> Well... Is item #1 an empty white picture? :P
Alpha 2: fixed in re-release. (No other change than the version number.)
Note for later: always re-check all files for version number changes. Even if I'm pretty sure I checked before. Ugh.

sherwinaval

Hi again Naolington,
Just to let you know, the problem that I was having in the installation of AV all went gone. It was not your script nor SMF. I actually played around with the server EasyApache stuff and clicked a whole lotta things :) so it was the culprit.

I transfered to a different stable server and installed AM Alpha 3 and it worked fine. Thank you very much for this very wonderful mod. I really love it!

Thanks again :)

Indy74

QuoteUpdated template to match the SMF2 RC3 Curve layout.

Huh? How different it is?

Soms

Quote from: Naolington on January 09, 2010, 04:19:56 AM
@Arantor> I don't know, Alpha 1 was downloaded by 1000+ users in a day. It was pretty huge... Alpha 2 could barely do half in a week, and Alpha 3 is starting slow as well. Thing is -- Alpha 1 was definitely buggy and I was hoping for a slow start, while Alpha 2 was more solid and I was intent for a bigger start. The opposite happened. I'm wondering whether some people never read the 'alpha' mentions, the big bold red disclaimers and things like that... And then, when it crashes, they say it sucks and never come back. I'd been holding up for a Christmas release to please everyone. Hopefully I didn't screw it. :P

No you did not screw it. In fact I am sure Arantor is right. Many are just adopting a wait-and-see attitude. I think this mode has the potential for being the biggest of all. But don't forget, it is still a work-in-progress. People already have the mods separately, so once the first stable edition is launched, I expect the counter to go north. More so as I then expect support for the AEVA & SMG to be gradually reduced.

BTW, I remember a long time ago when you just took over the mod now known as AEVA. You worried when it appeared in the first weeks that the download counter went south. I don't remember AEVA leaving the top of the Most Popular Mods for the last 6 months. That should tell you something!

Tair

I can't rename folders if you can't access them. I guess you probably moved files from a server to another, and the paths were incorrectly updated, or something.

same server, 2 DB - 1 in cp1251 - all is OK,  another is utf8.
2 installations of SMF in different folders.
all paths updated.

QuoteWell, I don't know about that. It is probably some UTF rendered as ISO...?
Starting from Alpha 3, item titles are also entity-encoded, like descriptions. Haven't checked about albums though.
well i don't know this too. Installed alpha3, same thing there - created album with turned-on option to decode to UTF8 (default) - album name
Quoteтестовый альбом
(test album) looks like
Quoteтестовы&
(cut again). Physical folder encoded again to that utf-iso stuff.

if i turn off option to decode to UTF8 - album name is OK. Folder is
Quote__1090;__1077;__1089;__1090;__1086;__1074;__1099;_

QuoteThis is probably also the first mod you've seen since 2005 that has 25.000 lines of code and a single man to handle them all. Fulltime. For free. Don't complain too much okay? My girlfriend is already complaining enough for all of you.
well i'm pretty happy that you're doing all this mod. Fine job. Just relax :) It's just a wierd bug here and thats why i'm trying to find some solution. I'm going to buy "php for noobies" book this week :)

Advertisement: